Notebook/TV issue

spuppett 17:38 22 Nov 2008

So had my laptop hooked up to my LCD tv via VGA cord watching a movie. I thought to myself, maybe I can get a better picture if I up the refresh rate. So I open up display settings and change it to 120 MHz and no the tv shows a message of 'Unsupported Video Signal'. Now I'm stuck. In the Intel Graphics Media program, it shows only single display, and that's my notebooks monitor. If I plug in the TV it will briefly flash up something for the TV, but I can't fix anthing before both the monitor and the TV go blank.

I've reset the computer the TV hooked up and I know it can get a picture because I'm seeing the progress bar move during boot, but that's all I get.

I tried hooking a desktop monitor into the notebook thinking I could set up the properties for the TV, but it's smarter then me I guess.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:23 22 Nov 2008

Just using the notebook not attached to another display.

Clck on a blank space on the desktop
Properties - settings - it should show to blue squares 1 and 2.
click 2 - advanced - monitor tab - reset the refresh rate to 75hz or less.

spuppett 20:51 22 Nov 2008

Thanks for the quick reply Fruit Bat:

It's currently set to 60.

BTW I'm using Vista Home Basic. What it seems like to me is that it stored properties for the connection to my TV. When the TV isn't plugged in the #2 monitor is just a PnP generic monitor, but I think when the TV is plugged in, it knows that it's a TV and is using the bad setting. Part of the reason I can't fix this easily is that when I plug in the TV, ALL output goes to the TV, I can't use my notebooks monitor at all. If I could figure out how to keep my notebook visible, I think I could fix this whip snap.

The settings for #2 are:
800X600
60 Hz
Extend the desktop... is NOT checked
32 bit color

Thanks.

spuppett 03:42 23 Nov 2008

I got a solution to the problem from Acer Tech Support. It's not really the fix I was hoping for but I'll take it. Their solution was to go back to a recent restore point. It worked so that's good, but I wish they had told me how to actually fix it, if there's even a way.

theDarkness 04:11 23 Nov 2008

thats really odd-what display settings are you using now- has anything changed dramatically? Just woke up, noticed phone was still on the helproom. Lol. Just gazed outside-snowing heavy in the highlands o scotland! :) ... :O good to hear you got it fixed though. have you installed any programs recently? something surely must have interfered with your settings related to your display

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone