Notebook startup problem for the pros

Intutor 12:09 13 Feb 2009

Hi guys and gals

As I'm here I thought I would ask.
I have a long standing problem with my Vaio PCG-441M powering up, but the OPSYS not showing.

Now, at first, if I did the usual wait a while; switch it off then on again, with a prayer, it would start booting, but if I switched it off it wouldn’t come back on. This was a bummer because all scans showed no problem with Windows XP,
And now it just won’t do it at all.

It has a new battery just in case, the hard drive spins and the power light is on. But it won’t boot Windows XP. It was working fine till it froze one day, then re-booting got the problem.

It also won’t let me access the BIOS. It did once after removing and re-inserting the RAM, but it froze after about 5 mins.

I have taken it to a shop and they said (after not looking at it for a week), that it COULD be the RAM, but I would have to pay for it first and take the chance it is this, as they don’t stock RAM for this model. But at £40 a shot, and uncertain, I’m not prepared to do that yet.

There is no intermittent problem either such as power, and the screen is not defective, it powers on, but nothing shows, and as I’m more a software person than hardware, this has stumped me.

So if anyone has come across a problem like this before, and rectified it, then I would welcome and appreciate your help or opinion.

Cheers!

ambra4 13:24 13 Feb 2009

It looks like the memory chip or memory slot is bad; try them one at a time if more than one

Module installed if only one try the second slot, if that still not working you will have to get a

memory module to try

512mb of Ram for your Vaio PCG-441M would cost £33 plus shipping is a lot cheaper than

buying a new computer or paying £40 for the part plus the labour

click here

ambra4 13:25 13 Feb 2009

Sorry about that click here

Intutor 14:03 13 Feb 2009

Hi ambra4

Thanks for the info, what you say sounds about right, it only has one slot or 512 max so yes, it is cheaper to replace the RAM than the laptop.

However, the site the link you sent does not list the Vaio PCG-441M, a problem I have had before, but not that is will deter me as I'm sure there is an alternative.

Thanks for the confirmation on that, I think I will just give it a try, it's only money isn't it.

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone