Notebook shuts off for no reason

fedya 21:44 21 Feb 2006

I have a problem with my computer. For some reason it just shuts off. Some times it shuts of before it even loads and sometimes it loads and works for about 10-30 minutes and shuts off. (the screen goes blank, the procesor light stops flashing but the power light stays on) One time when it just shut off, i turned it back on and whent to Administrative tools/ event Viewer/ System. I found there new errors that happed like 2 minutes ago. Here is what they said. Source: Service Control Manager “The IPSEC Services service depends on the IPSEC driver service shich failed to start because of the following Error: Adivice attached to the system is not functioning” There were other errors but with different sources that said the same thing. “A divice attached to the systems is not functioning” Can somebody help me findout what ddivice is that and how can i fix it.

Also my BIOS is like 4 years old. How can i update it.

So I unchecked the “Automatically Restart” box, but when it crashed again no blue screen apeared. The problem is that my monitor goes blank first and the CD-drive starts spining and the light blinking. And the power light and fan still works. A couple of months ago it always beeped but now it usually doesn’t beep. Just shuts off. Although once in a wile it does beep. (beeeeeeeep-beep-beep-beep-beeeeeeeeep) two time in a row.

I managed to get a quik summary using my AIDA32 Enterprise System Info befor it shut off again. Here it is.

Computer:
Operating System..........................Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack...........................Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer...........................6.0.2900.2180

Motherboard:
CPU Type.....................................Mobile Intel Pentium IIIE, 750 MHz (8 x 94)
Motherboard Name.......................Hewlett-Packard N/A
Motherboard Chipset....................Intel 82440BX/ZX
System Memory...........................128 MB (PC133 SDRAM)
BIOS Type....................................Phoenix (03/15/01)
Communication Port....................Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port....................ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter..............................S3 Graphics Savage/IX HP (8 MB)
Video Adapter..............................S3 Graphics Savage/IX HP (8 MB)
Monitor.........................................Digital Flat Panel (1024x768)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter..............................ESS Technology Allegro-1.COMM AudioDrive

Storage:
Disk Drive....................................IBM-DJSA-220 (20 GB, 4200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/66)
Optical Drive............................... MAT*[email protected]:A DVD-ROM SR-8175 (8x/24x DVD-ROM)

Partitions:
C: (NTFS)....................................10001 MB (6265 MB free)
D: (NTFS)....................................9067 MB (6456 MB free)

any ideas what could be broken with this laptop.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:49 21 Feb 2006

If it beeps before shut off then warning could be for excess heat or low battery.

Excess heat ensure fan grills are clear.

Batteries especially in a 4 year old laptop will not last long.

BIOS DO NOT UPDATE. BIOS update is only to care incompatibility poblems when upgrading.

Device problems, PC inventory takers :-
Belarc click here
SIW click here
SiSandra click here
will show all devices installed make sure you have the latest drivers for them.

fedya 21:38 24 Feb 2006

Hey Fruit Bat, thanks for your advise. I used SiSandra to check my DVD drive and here is what is said:

Cannot obtain drive information; check that a disk is in the drive and it is correctly formatted.

Could an error with a DVD drive make my laptop just shut off? I also noticed that the fan starts when i just turn my notebook on and after that it stops. It doesn’t start even at temperatures like 61?. (that is the hottest it got befor it shut off again) is that normal or something is abviusly wrong with it.

fedya 21:52 01 Mar 2006

could my DVD drive be broken because it doesn't read CD even when computer is working.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache