Notebook - PC network / un-network

  wildrover 12:08 28 Apr 2004

I have a notebook and a pc. I would like to be able to network the pair (which I think I can do OK) but want to be able to easily disconnect the notebook from the network to use both 'unnetworked' and then network them again for file sharing and internet access. Is this easy to achieve? Without too much hassle and settings-changing (initial set-up aside)? And for not too much money??

  TomJerry 12:39 28 Apr 2004

if both machines has Lan (Ethernet) port, cable only costs a few pounds

for "un-network", just disconnect cable

  TomJerry 14:10 28 Apr 2004

5 meters £1.86 click here, 2 meters £0.92 click here

If you do not have Lan ports on both machine, you can get a usb datalink cable to network both PCs £7.94 click here. Only 1.8 meter long, but you can make it long by buying a usb extension cable from ebuyer 3 meters extension cable £1.17 click here (for usb connection, the maximum limit is 5 meters unless you use a usb repeater which can also be bought from ebuyer very cheaply.

  wildrover 14:43 28 Apr 2004

Cheers very much. Notebook has a LAN port and the PC already has a USB ethernet connector for cable. I need to add a PCI Network card to my PC I think. Will give it a go. I had always assumed that it would be more complex than just disconnecting to return to non-networked status.

  TomJerry 17:42 28 Apr 2004

For your set up, I think it is better to have a router for the job. This router will come between your cable modem and main PC, then your laptop can connect to this router. This is the proper network setup. Have a look of your cable modem, if it has more than one Lan (Ethernet) port, then it is the router already. You do not need anything else. For the router, there are many options. I like d-link product, a simple 4 port router costs £27.97 here click here. If you want cheaper one Dynamode cost £25.75 click here. D-link product is very easy to set up. I think better to get D-Link one because it has Firewall build in.

If you decided use router, you need normal Cat 5 network cable (or called patch cable), not crossover cable. Cables can also bought from broadbandbuyer which sell D-link one I mentioned above click here.

For idea about network and set up instruction, check out homenet help here: click here

  wildrover 18:18 28 Apr 2004

Thanks again. I'll have a good look at the options. My cable is NTL via set-top box so no modem.

  AndySD 18:27 28 Apr 2004

I use the Netgear FR114PUK with ntl from the settop box .... Its just a matter of plugging in the cable from the settop and the main PC go into the router and use the MAC Address Cloning option and you are back on the net.

click here

But the cheaper option is just to add the NIC into your pc and connect and disconnect as above. If using this option all you need is a crossover cable.

  TomJerry 18:44 28 Apr 2004

~ A lot of routers including AndySD suggested one click here

  wildrover 19:35 28 Apr 2004

Will look at routers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?