Notebook Coolers?

J B 16:23 03 Jul 2007

I've been thinking about getting a notebook cooler click here for my laptop click here and was wondering if you have any opinions on such things. In the past people have said that they are good if you are a gamer, but the only things that I use my laptop for is running Office programs and using Photoshop Elements. The only gaming I do is with the games that came with the laptop. So any opinions would be welcome. J.B.

birdface 18:37 03 Jul 2007

4 rubber feet out of any car accessory shop for a £1 will help.

Totally-braindead 18:45 03 Jul 2007

I don't have a laptop as I play a few games and they can't be upgraded the same as a desktop. The last time I saw a thread about this the opinion of most of the laptop users were that these things were a waste of time and it was more important to ensure it was a proper flat surface to ensure the cooling vents weren't blocked.
From what people have said they really should discontinue the use of the word laptop as its not a good idea to run it with it sitting in your lap as you will block the vents. Notebook is a proper definition in my opinion. And of course thats the term you used.
I have no personal experience on thists just what others said on a thread some time ago.

I am Spartacus 19:13 03 Jul 2007

I have a Fujitsu E7000 which runs extremely hot underneath and I've found that click here makes a big difference and the internal fans hardly spin anymore.

The one from QuietPC looks as though it will do the job as well.

J B 19:44 03 Jul 2007

I thought you might say that they were a waste of time. My notebook doesn't run that hot and at present I have a notebook stand which props up the rear of the notebook. I think that for the present time I will stick to what I have, it is basic but efficient. thank you for your information. J.B.

Totally-braindead 00:56 04 Jul 2007

As I said this was the consensus on coolers on the thread but I haven't even got a laptop, from I am Spartacus's comment it appears it does make a difference - providing the computer runs a bit hot anyway.
I'm always in favour of the " if it ain't broke don't fix it " attitude, and since you say your laptop doesn't run hot theres not much point as far as I am concerned.

J B 10:03 04 Jul 2007

I agree, had a look at one last night and decided against it. When you look at one in the flesh so to speak there isn't much difference to what I am using now. As I said I will stick to what I have, it's basic but it does the job. J.B.

wee eddie 12:03 04 Jul 2007

So long as you keep the Laptop's airways clear of dust and sufficient clearance between it and the work surface, you should be fine.

I personally believe that keeping the base of the laptop at an angle helps airflow, but other than a couple of really amateurish "Smoke Tests" I have nothing to back that up. I find that between 45' & 60' to be most efficient. However, between 30' & 45' is easier to use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone