Notebook blank screen on start-up but seems to pow

Andy King 12:08 16 Mar 2009

I'm hoping you can help me with a problem with my M677 notebook. (Sorry if this is in the wrong forum)

Last week, I went to turn my laptop on and whilst it seems to be powering up and I still got the start up music, the screen didn't turn on and remained blank. I tried restarting however this time, the power came on but didn't get as far as start up music and the screen remained blank.

After researching this on-line, a website suggested taking the battery out then taking the power cord out and pushing the on button for 30 seconds. After this, putting the power cord back in and turning on again. I tried this and it worked. I was able to use the notebook as usual. I checked everything on the laptop was working as it should be (Virus check, device manager etc) and everything seemed ok.

After turning the laptop off, I couldn’t get it back on again. I've tried all combinations of with the battery/power and without however have since only managed to get it back on once and when repeating the process, couldn’t replicate. The time I did have it on, I did a full system restore back to a few weeks ago which didn’t seem to help.

I’ve tried taking the hard drive out and running the restore disk however in both cases, the screen just stayed blank.

I’ve also tried linking the laptop to my TV to see if it’s just a problem with the screen however the TV picks up no signal.

I’ve contact official support only to be told it sounds like a problem with the build in VGA and will cost over £240 as I’m 4 months out of warranty.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers

Specs
M677
AMD Turion 34x2 dual core TL56 CPU
256 MB Nvidia 7600 VGA
1 GB DDR Memory
Vista

crosstrainer 14:58 16 Mar 2009

Sounds like you have a duff battery.... If the remove and replace did not work.

You could try it once more before buying a replacement

Andy King 15:03 16 Mar 2009

Thanks for your response.

Is there anyway I can test that this is the problem? I’ve tried turning it on with just the power attached and it still won’t load properly? Could the duff battery be responsible for this from the times when it is plugged in?

Any help is really appreciated.

crosstrainer 15:06 16 Mar 2009

No, sounds more like a hdd or memory module fault. If the machine is still under warranty, I would take it back for repair. If not, you could try removing and re-seating the memory module(s) If that fails to work, then it's possible that your hard drive is on it's way out.

Andy King 15:42 16 Mar 2009

I’ve removed and replaced the entire hard drive from the bottom of the lap-top. Is there someone else I should be looking to remove/replace other than this?

crosstrainer 07:33 17 Mar 2009

Try re-fitting the memory modules (it's not hard) Your manual should point you in the right direction.

Andy King 12:39 18 Mar 2009

Hi,

Last night I tried hooking it up via the VGA out with no luck. I also checked the screen connections to the main mother board, checking for broken/damaged pins as well as removing and replacing the memory module but nothing seemed to work.
Any other ideas before I conclude it’s broken?

Many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires