notebook

watters03 20:33 30 Aug 2006

Hi i'm currently using my new laptop which is an acer travelmate2420. Not sure if anyone has any knowledge of them but i have a couple of qu's, the volume is very quiet i've maxed it on the control panel i'm just wondering if it's a quiet machine anyway?!! The computer is a little slow as well...or perhaps i've been spoilt by the posh ones at work?! i.e. when i close an internet window it closes really slowly from the top down (am i making sense?).
I've installed Norton and also something called F-Secure internet security are these 2 things enough to safeguard my comp? Might they be slowing it down?

VoG II 20:36 30 Aug 2006

If I understand correctly you have two anti-virus programs running - Norton and F-Secure. This will definitely slow your system down. You need to choose one and uninstall the other. Personally I would ditch Norton as it is a resource hog.

Gongoozler 20:43 30 Aug 2006

Hi watters03. I think quiet volume on a laptop isn't unusual, especially when playing DVD's, but you could check that any volume controls are at maximum. Start with Control panel - Sounds and Audio Devices.
I wouldn't expect any modern computer to be as slow as you describe. How much memory does your Acer have? For Windows XP to run smoothly you really need a minimum of 512M. If you hit Alt + Ctrl + Delete, and click on the Performance tab, how much CPU is showing as being used?

watters03 20:53 30 Aug 2006

VoG could you recommend an anti virus programme?

Gongoozler, the memory is actually 512M here's the specs click here

the CPU fluctuated from 11% to 73%!!

Jackcoms 20:56 30 Aug 2006

Anti-virus click here

Anti-malware click here

Sorted!

VoG II 20:57 30 Aug 2006

I would recommend click here

watters03 21:06 30 Aug 2006

So do i un-install the others before installing the anti virus you recommended...either of you!

Gongoozler 11:20 31 Aug 2006

I think your best bet is to uninstall Norton and F-Secure. Then reinstall Norton and install ZoneAlarm click here. When your Norton subscription expires, uninstall Norton and download and install either AVG click here, or (my favourite) Avast click here, both of which are free.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?