Not writing or playing back DVDs

JF25 14:04 05 Mar 2008

In order to clear up a fault I did a complete uninstall and reinstall My software for my DVD drive was suspect so changed to nero-8.1.1.4 english-lite.exe. I now find that I cannot write or play back DVDs but can write and play CDs. As I cannot write DVDs I am unable to back up my computer. The DVD drive is a Sony do I require to download other software to enable the DVD writer to operate properly or should I get a external DVD writer and use it off the USB2 port?
JF25

Stuartli 16:08 05 Mar 2008

Not sure if Nero8 works in similar fashion to Nero6, but you have to select CD or DVD with Nero6 (from StartSmart) before configuring a burning routine.

Stuartli 16:12 05 Mar 2008

Other possibilites are that the DVD laser has gone kaput or the optical drive may need reinstalling to reactive the basic Windows CDRPM driver.

AFter checking that the cables and leads are correctly fitted and firmly inserted, Uninstall your DVD drive from Device Manager and Reboot - Windows should Find New Hardware and reinstall the driver automatically.

The actual operation of the driver's burning function is controlled by programs such as Nero.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?