Not so much a problem as strange.

gengiscant 08:12 20 Jun 2010

For the last couple of days or so on pressing the power button I get the usual boot screens plus an extra one, I am now being shown a screen which reads, launching windows files then scrolls windows files that are being loaded,my PC proceeds to boot to desktop as normal.

Now all this is now occurring in a window that does not fit my 24" Dell U2410 full width.Difficult to measure as the screen is obviously black, but I would estimate the boot up screen is around 7-8 inches narrower.
As I said it boots to normal screen etc etc.
I have two Sapphire HD 5770's in crossfire with W7.

northumbria61 12:01 20 Jun 2010

Have you tried "Last Known Good Configuration" - it may help.

gengiscant 12:16 20 Jun 2010

Pardon,these are the boot screens I am on about,the pc on reaching desktop is fine.

northumbria61 14:34 20 Jun 2010

Indeed strange - not come across this one - if I find anything I will let you know.

northumbria61 22:44 20 Jun 2010

Hi gengiscant - I have a relative who works for a local computer firm and I asked him if he had ever come across this problem. This was his reply -

"Yeah, its been happening with windows updates on new pc's in our workshop.

The updates install and then upon next boot it has one line accross the screen reading which file it it installing/launching.

I don't know why it doesnt happen on all pc's but I have definitely seen it."

robin_x 02:30 21 Jun 2010

Windows Updates are the Bane of my Life.

But they are necessary.

I have had loads since new laptop&W7 last Autumn.
Every one rearranges my desktop/corrupts something.

But I get around with restore points and images and then install updates again. Annoying.

Mainly W7 tends to lose my shortcuts and links.
I have saved them all to a folder now. And a jpg of how my Desktop should look.

gengiscant 08:30 21 Jun 2010

I intend later today,to post a video of the strange behavior as I do not think I have explained the strange happening very well.

gengiscant 11:05 21 Jun 2010

My problem has been partially solved by the good folks on the bit-tech site, who pointed me in the direction of msconfig where I discovered that the 'OS boot information' box was checked.
So just the question as to why the boot screens are not taking up the full 24" monitor space.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017