Not slow pc but low internet speed.

Daveken 05:59 06 Feb 2010

HI TECH PEOPLE,

I AM USING WINDOWS XP UNDER PENTIUM 3 ON A HOME PC THAT I HAVE BEEN USING FOR AROUND A DECADE. LAST YEAR IT'S GENERAL SPEED WAS SO LOW THAT IT TOOK UP TO 10 MINS FOR A DESKTOP ICON OR FILE TO OPEN-(NOT SURPRISE). IT TOOK MORE TIME FOR ANY ACTION TO ACTIVATE. I MANAGED TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM BY SIMPLY RE-INSTALLED MY OPERATING SYSTEM I.E. WIN XP. AND THAT WAS IT! I REGAINED NORMAL PC SPEED ALTHOUGH THE OLD SLOW SYSTEM IS THERE AND UNUSED SOMEWHERE ON MY PC. MY FIRST QUESTION IS: HOW DO I GET RID OF IT COMPLETELY AS I NO LONGER NEED IT? QUESTION 2: I HAVE A GOOD BROADBAND INTERNET CONNECTION BUT- WHY AM I EXPERIENCING SLOW INTERNET SPEED THAT IT TAKES AROUND FIVE MINS FOR A WEB PAGE TO OPEN? CURRENTLY, I CAN'T VIEW TV I-PLAYERS, PLAY ONLINE GAMES OR WATCH ONLINE TV E.G. BBC & ITV CHANNELS. ANY HELP PLEASE?

JohnWilliams 06:46 06 Feb 2010

If you reinstalled XP then everything will have been wiped. There's no "slow system" left.
What I'm guessing you haven't done is install the drivers for your motherboard, chipset etc.
What's the make and model of your pc or motherboard?
Have you also run windows update and installed all available updates?

birdface 11:25 06 Feb 2010

Old computer.Have you checked that the air vents are clear of dust and fluff if so inside will need cleaning as well.
make sure it is running in DMA mode and not PIO.

click here

Try Driver Max free and see if any of them need updating.or check device manager and see if there is any yellow exclamation marks beside any of your drivers.
If you have downloaded all of Microsoft Updates maybe do a defrag which might speed things up a bit.
And what security programs including Firewall have you got installed.
Try the free version of Malwarebytes just to see if it finds any problems.

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:35 06 Feb 2010

Sounds like you put a second version of windows on your drive.

Back up everything you need then do a clean install by booting from the XP CD and select format the drive BEFORE installing windows. Guide click here

With windows loaded then you need to load antivirus and anti spyware and firewall
next the drivers for your motherboard and graphics card need to be installed either from a CD that came with the machine or download from the web (why you need antivirus and firewall first).

Daveken 01:30 07 Feb 2010

THANK YOU GUYS

I SHALL CARRY OUT YOUR INSTRUCTIONS AND GIVE YOU ALL THE OUTCOME IN DUE COURSE.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?