'Not Responding', 'Unresponsive Script' etc etc

gazmix 14:23 02 Feb 2014

Hi

I have a compaq evo small form factor. Runs xp pro. I guess it's getting on in life.

The problem is that my browsers stutter & show 'Not Responding' at the top of the page, unresponsive script alerts. My internet speed is fast, but when i want to watch something on youtube, the speed of the film can't keep up with the sound, stutters & misses seconds. It sounds like the hard disk is skipping, could it be doing this & is there anything i can do.

Thanks

wee eddie 15:33 02 Feb 2014

What general maintenance do you regularly do?

Defragging, using CCleaner (or similar), running Anti Malwear Software, that kind of thing.

gazmix 17:57 02 Feb 2014

i regularly use ccleaner in application to clear internet history, cookies etc, i run my Avira antivirus occasionally & defrag occasionally. My pc is using less than half of the 33GB hard disk space too.

Secret-Squirrel 18:37 02 Feb 2014

Are you still using the Firefox browser?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:53 02 Feb 2014

Sounds more like a browser / internet connection speed problem, than hardware on your PC.

IE8 is rubbish and XP will not accept anything higher

I have XP and 1.75G mem, use FF26 without problems.

May be try Chrome?

wee eddie 20:19 02 Feb 2014

As FruitBat suggests it sounds like a Browser problem.

Just one more thought: How full is your Hard Drive?

woodchip 21:29 02 Feb 2014

As FB above Low speed Connection plus Java Scrip doing its thing in the Browser, Thou I find that Most prominent on PCA site so I turn it of in Browser when on hear

gazmix 22:13 02 Feb 2014

i have all 3 browsers, firefox makes serious fan noises on facebook & youtube but doesn't stutter. Chrome is best for normal browsing but is very stuttery watching youtube etc. IE8 is the worst for freezing & not responding to the extent that i can't shut it down at all with task manager, it just doesn't respond.

All 3 just seem really bad. All browsers when watching video, the film footage can't keep up with the dialogue, football for instance, i hear the goal has been scored before while the film is frozen or a few seconds back.

wee eddie 23:20 02 Feb 2014

Streaming movies and RAM.

How much do you have?

gazmix 10:20 03 Feb 2014

Ive been thinking.

I've just updated my orange EE package & i'm getting faster internet as of last week but have been using my old router until my EE BrightBox arrives.

Could the faster internet going into an old router be responsible for stuttering & noise etc as the old router is quite old & maybe can't take the speed. EE told me that i'd need the BrightBox with my increased speed.

I've just connected my BrightBox us as its just arrived & it looks like less stuttering!

gazmix 16:31 06 Feb 2014

How do i find out how much RAM i have.

This issue is still happening.

i have all 3 browsers, firefox makes serious fan noises on facebook & youtube but doesn't stutter. Chrome is best for normal browsing but is very stuttery watching youtube etc. IE8 is the worst for freezing & not responding to the extent that i can't shut it down at all with task manager, it just doesn't respond to anything. I have uninstalled & reinstalled them all & still the same problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?