Not Responding error messages

donaldcro 14:11 17 Feb 2008

I have a Toshiba 3300M Equium computer, and have had it for quite some time and its still working reasonably well. I am getting a lot of "not responding" error messages when I am trying to download programmes, and it also freezes up as well on occasions.Can someone identify what the problem may be and what I may have to do to resolve it. I have already run a check on the system and there are a few things that need attention, but these error messages make it even more confusing.

howard64 20:49 17 Feb 2008

it could be an overheating problem with perhaps a fan either clogged up or not turning. Open the case and have a look. A blow out with compressed air might cure it.

Gongoozler 09:23 18 Feb 2008

This behaviour is often caused by memory problems. Follow the advice from howard64, but also, if you have more than one stick of memory, try with just one of them. You Haven't told us much about the computer or what operating system you are using, but if the computer as it's original build and only has 128M of memory, then if you are running Windows XP it will be running out of memory and that would almost certainly give the problems you have described. Another possibility is that the hard drive might be getting full, and this would cause the same type of problem.

oldbeefer2 14:13 18 Feb 2008

If you suspect RAM, go here click here and let Crucial run a scan of your system. It will tell you what is installed and offer suggestions as to by how much it could be increased.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?