not recognising external hard drive

paul 12:01 11 Mar 2008

I had major problem and had to reinstall XP home edition......now my computer is not picking up my freecom external hard drive.....any advice please

also none of my audio devices are working and the error message says no sound card can be found....there is one it was working before - again any advice please

anskyber 12:26 11 Mar 2008

You need to reinstall the drivers for things like your sound card, they should be on a utilities disc supplied with your machine.

Some manufacturers like Dell have in all programs a program which will reinstall the original drivers failing that then go to the relevant web sites and download from there.

Jak_1 12:36 11 Mar 2008

What soudcard do you have, I have just re-install XP myself and had to dl the sound drivers from realtec, didn't take long and installed easily with the sound back instantly. Did you have an instalation cd for your freecom drive? I did with my Maxtor, if so you will need to re-istall the drivers for the drive from there or go to the freecom site.

paul 12:46 11 Mar 2008

sorry have realised this is a usb problem.....no devices are working in the usb ports and i have the yellow question mark when i check.......i guess this means i need to reinstall some drivers.....it is an HP pavillion desktop - so hopefull their site will point me towards some drivers

Technotiger 12:53 11 Mar 2008

Remove all USB items, then un-install all USB ports in Devices, then re-boot PC. Then re-connect your USB items. They should then be re-installed automatically.

paul 13:45 11 Mar 2008

that worked - thanks very much....

Technotiger 13:55 11 Mar 2008

Grreat, thanks for the feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017