not printing black but ink levels ok

swd 19:35 03 Feb 2004

I printed a web page but only the coloured bits came out; the black writing didn't print! I know there is black ink as levels are half full. It does print pages from internet or word which are in black only! OS= XP home, printer=lexmark Z45.
any suggestions? Please keep it simple,this is new to me-ta

Belatucadrus 19:44 03 Feb 2004

What web page ?

swd 19:48 03 Feb 2004

any internet sites it seems.Its just happened in last few days with no problems before!

R4 20:04 03 Feb 2004

Clean the cartridge

Belatucadrus 20:10 03 Feb 2004

Try File/Print Preview you should get three windows with dropdown menus in the toolbar. The third should have options like "As laid out on screen","Only the selected frame" & "All the frames individually". Make sure the selected option is "As laid out on screen" and it should print everything.

swd 20:43 03 Feb 2004

I've cleaned the cartridge- still no luck. I've clicked file, print preview and the only drop down menu on toolbar shows a % sign for size or page width, whole page or two pages options. the coloured printing does look quite faint and the black is still non existent.

TommyRed 21:02 03 Feb 2004

When was the last time you printed black and are the cartridges original or compatible? The reason I ask is I've had black compatible dry out when not used for some time and I've also read on here similar stories. HTH TR

swd 21:06 03 Feb 2004

It gets used every other day.I know it does print black(although fainty but readable)cos it will print a document but if there is colour on the page it just prints the colour bit.

Indigo 1 21:09 03 Feb 2004

Tried updating printer drivers ?

swd 21:16 03 Feb 2004

do I just go to Lexmarks website for this?

Indigo 1 22:34 03 Feb 2004

There are many driver update sites but that would be a good place to start.

Or try click here

Or click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?