Not PC related but......

Everyone is so helpful. Do you need an outside aerial for a freeview box. A friend has a very poor picture on his TV because he has a crappy indoor aerial and hasn't the facility to fit an outside aerial. How can he get rid of the poor snowy picture?

recap 21:23 27 Jun 2007

Yes an outside aerial is required.

Stuartli 21:23 27 Jun 2007

As Freeview digital transmissions are at a much lower level until the analogue transmitters are switched off (due to finish in 2012), then a proper wideband aerial is even more important.

What are the circumstances for the lack of a facility to fit an outside aerial?

Any ideas on how to get round this? Or is that that!!

Stuartli 21:24 27 Jun 2007

It depends on how far from the TV transmitter you are whether an aerial mounted in a loft area will be sufficient.

I don't know the exact reasons for no outside aerial but I believe it is not an option at the moment. And please no suggestions of Sky or Cable!!!

If nothing can be done then thats it!!

amonra 21:27 27 Jun 2007

Has he tried an aerial pre-amplifier ? Sometimes works wonders. There is no substitute for a good outside aerial, it's worth the effort to try and fix one up.

Stuartli 21:32 27 Jun 2007

You can't make a purse out of a sow's ear by trying to boost an already poor signal.

Is there any way an aerial can be mounted on a wall (clearly you will first have to enquire the exact circumstances as to why a roof aerial cannot be used)?

'You can't make a purse out of a sow's ear by trying to boost an already poor signal.'

Whats that mean!!!

Stuartli 21:34 27 Jun 2007

Exactly what I said. Amplifying a poor signal won't magically transform it into a good one...:-)

So he's knackered until an outside aerial is fitted.

I will tick the box.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?