"not enough memory or disk space....."

palinka 22:27 19 Jan 2006

I went to show a neighbour how to burn some files to CD. When I'd finished I deleted the several extra copies of each file that she'd created by mistake while trying to get to grips with the burning process. So there was less stored on her PC when I'd finished than when I started; BUT when I then tried to open a Word doc the message appeared "not enough memory or disk space to run Word". Her OS is Windows 98, she has 256 MB RAM and system resources are 57% free. Her AV (Panda) had not been updated since 19 Dec. Any advice please.

VoG II 22:31 19 Jan 2006

Which version of Word?

SG Atlantis® 22:32 19 Jan 2006

"not enough memory"

sounds like RAM issues.

what was running in the background?

did you reboot and try again?

palinka 22:47 19 Jan 2006

I THINK it's Word 2000, and before all our work saving to disk, etc there had been no problem - we had been editing some Word docs before saving them to disk.
Nothing else was running; "My Docs" was open. No, SG Atlantis®, we didn't think of rebooting; but she will have shut down overnight so it will be re-booted tomorrow.
She's had this PC since 2003 and it's in a complete muddle, with stuff stored all over the place, the keyboard knee deep in dust & fluff and deleted emails from 2003 still in the files. So my next suggestion to her was going to be Disk Cleaner & a defrag.

Skyver 22:50 19 Jan 2006

Does this help ? click here

VoG II 22:52 19 Jan 2006

Possibly spyware click here

Normal.dot corrupt click here

Other corrupt files click here

There are more causes but please check these first.

palinka 22:59 19 Jan 2006

thanks, Skyver and VoG™. I'll follow those up tomorrow.

palinka 10:57 21 Jan 2006

It seems to have solved itself - after closing down overnight it was fine next day on boot-up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?