Not enough memory available for network folders

Ivor_Monkey 18:51 15 Feb 2005

I have a home network comprisng win98 and XP pcs, which has previously worked.

But now I get "Not enough memory available. Quit some programs", when (from win98 pc) i try to open folders/partitions folders on XP machine. I have allowed sharing etc. XP machine can access folders on win98 no problem.

I have few 5? smallish programs running in background and the win98 pc has 128 ram (I know it isn;t a lot, but it worked before)and 75-81% of system resources free. I have 2 HDD with a few partitions in win98. C drive has 10% (2gb) free.

I have run anti virus, spybot etc and hijack this programs etc.

As I said, it used to work.

Any suggestions please?

1) Could it be that I dont have enough spare capacity on HDD?

2) Could somebody remind me of the good test/fix for drive?

3) Is this likely cause? :
click here

Thanks

howard60 21:16 15 Feb 2005

could this be a firewall problem? eg zone alarm update has set za as if it was a completly new installation and everything has had to be set to allow again.

Ivor_Monkey 23:06 16 Feb 2005

Thnaks, but I don't think it is the firewall (sygate) coz I have that installed on both pcs and XP can access folders on win98 pc without any problem and settings seem identical.

I wonder if it might have something to do with size of swap files. I used Norton to optimse windows when space was limited.
I wonder if Norton has caused the problem.

I now have 5gb of free space on hdd, but I still get the message "not enough memory".

Any ideas anyone?

Ivor_Monkey 10:51 20 Feb 2005

Anyone got any ideas?

I can't print large files.
Scanreg shows fine.
No errors on 128 ram (memtest).

Ivor_Monkey 15:53 20 Feb 2005

And....Maxtor disks are also shown only as generic in my computer, although bios shows them as Maxtor. Maxtor test program shows disks are good. It looks like a software problem, but what?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?