not connecting to various web sites

roger69 20:51 21 Apr 2008

Hi all,
I am having problems with connecting to various web sites e.g bbc sport I am running windows xp and I use blueyonder as my isp, now I am certain the problem is my linksys wrt54gs router as if i plug the cable straight into the main computer no problem then if I reveret back to the router it arises again.
I have gone from I.E 6 TO 7 but it still persists
also I can no longer get AVG updates all it says in the udate panel is.
server receive answer...
until it times out

birdface 20:57 21 Apr 2008

Right click network connection on your quick start and press repair .See if there is any problems.

birdface 20:59 21 Apr 2008

Oops it works ok without the router connected so ignore last.Sorry but I Know nothing about routers.No doubt someone else will be able to give you the advice that you need.

roger69 21:10 21 Apr 2008

thanks buteman yeah I've tried that one I forgot tot say that I can't even log on to windows update very confusing

birdface 23:23 21 Apr 2008

Can you log on to windows updates if you are not using the router.

brundle 23:26 21 Apr 2008

Check MTU on the router - ideal settings are 1500 for cable connection, 1492 for ADSL (though there are some differences with a couple of ISPs)

roger69 07:56 22 Apr 2008

hi Buteman
yes can connect to window updates or any other site without the router.

Hi Brundle
it was set to auto so changed it to 1500 still got the problem.

I have done a bit of googling and on the sites I can get onto there seems to be a fair few problems with linksys routers especially the wrt54g/gs routers, I think its something to do with windows updates not sure.
So I guess the only quick optuon is to replace it at the moment there is my daughters computer and my nokia n95 that connects wifi will probably look to get a wirless laptop and printer in the future
any suggetions please may be one with a bit more range also something that is slightly future proof.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?