Not connecting to the Internet.

skenth 10:49 24 Jun 2003

Hi,

I have a very wierd problem with a computer running Win98se. It has broadband installed in it and when I try to connect to the internet the dial up goes through fine and handshakes with the server, however when I try to open Internet Explorer and enter a web site address, it just says that page cannot be found. I have installed anti-virus software but cannot connect to the internet to update the virus definitions. SO then I took the hard drive out and connected it to another computer that had up-to-date virus definitions and scanned for viruses, it found 2 viruses which it deleted. However after reconnecting the hard drive I still have the same problem. I have also tried safe boot through msconfig but still no luck. I have repaired internet explorer and also restored the previous settings. I have uninstalled the network settings and reinstalled them. Now I have run out of ideas and turn to you gurus to see if you can shed any light on this bizarre problem!!

spikeychris 11:09 24 Jun 2003

Bit confused, are you using your BB connection to connect to the net?

Jester2K II 11:20 24 Jun 2003

Could be ADSL - still need to dial in!

Skenth - who is your ISP and what type of broadband are you on?

skenth 11:21 24 Jun 2003

Yes - I have a broadband connection which seems to connect fine but i cannot check email, use internet explorer or update my anti virus definitions, hence something is blocking the connection.

skenth 11:23 24 Jun 2003

My broadband provider is a company called Sniffout (you probably havn't heard of the because they are crap!) Anyway this problem is not ISP related as I have taken the computer to a friends house and connected it on his Nildram connection and still have the exact same problem.

spikeychris 12:09 24 Jun 2003

Thank-you J2K tend to forget about ADSL. Skenth have another look at your settings click here and see if there right.

spikeychris 12:11 24 Jun 2003
  skenth 13:30 24 Jun 2003

Hi thanks, I have checked these but all looks to okay!

canard 14:10 24 Jun 2003

When there are peripherals installed to USB my BB is horrendous. Uninstalling all USB peripherals has made the BB behave itself.

skenth 14:12 24 Jun 2003

Hi,

Thanks for the tip, but I do not have any other USB devices connected... any other ideas?

Confab 15:13 24 Jun 2003

Could be a corrup IE. Try the IE Repairer tool in system information.

Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review

How to draw a mandala

iPhone X review

Les meilleures enceintes Bluetooth à moins de 150 euros