I have a very wierd problem with a computer running Win98se. It has broadband installed in it and when I try to connect to the internet the dial up goes through fine and handshakes with the server, however when I try to open Internet Explorer and enter a web site address, it just says that page cannot be found. I have installed anti-virus software but cannot connect to the internet to update the virus definitions. SO then I took the hard drive out and connected it to another computer that had up-to-date virus definitions and scanned for viruses, it found 2 viruses which it deleted. However after reconnecting the hard drive I still have the same problem. I have also tried safe boot through msconfig but still no luck. I have repaired internet explorer and also restored the previous settings. I have uninstalled the network settings and reinstalled them. Now I have run out of ideas and turn to you gurus to see if you can shed any light on this bizarre problem!!
My broadband provider is a company called Sniffout (you probably havn't heard of the because they are crap!) Anyway this problem is not ISP related as I have taken the computer to a friends house and connected it on his Nildram connection and still have the exact same problem.