not connecting

paul 15:01 22 Dec 2006

I am trying to connect Dell laptop (windows xp home and IE6) wirelesly. Previously this has worked sweetly using a lynksys router.......I now find it wont work and my wife says she remembers pressing to disconnect something ( ???) and since then it has not worked. It is showing a wireless network connection to lynskys with an excellent strenght and speed of11.0mbps it says it is connected but when i try to log on i get the p[age not discplayed icon........advice please

mgmcc 16:47 22 Dec 2006

Normally, a Wireless Network Adapter will connect automatically to the wireless network when the PC is booted, provided the network is available.

However, if the option to "Disconnect" has been used, connection will no longer be automatic. It is necessary to go through the routine to "Connect" again, i.e. run the wireless adapter's software, scan for "Available Wireless Networks", find and highlight the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and select the option to "Connect" to it. You should be prompted to enter any WEP or WPA encryption key and, once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

There is a difference between the Wireless Network Adapter and Router communicating with a good signal and "Connecting" (as in "logging in") to your Wireless network.

Once "Connected", and provided the option to "Disconnect" isn't used again, future connections will again be automatic.

skidzy 22:48 22 Dec 2006

If no joy from the above,try pressing FN+F2 and reboot,now see if the wireless is enabled.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017