Not Computer Related, But desperate

  woodchip 13:58 04 Jan 2006

I know it's not a Computer Problem, but you may be able to help or guide me to some info.

Just got a Bush 32" Flat TV with FreeView. I have two questions, one there is a socket just above two Scart sockets like a Serial socket on computer but not as many pins, No Idea what it is for but can connect S/Video to this TV also, could this be a connector for this. Also I have no Idea how to record Digital to External Samsung DVD VHS Recorder this also as all kinds of connections Two Scarts, One S/Video, Analog Input Output's etc so can use it to edit Digital Video on TV. I can record Analog OK as it must have two tuners. Any help appreciated

  strech 14:08 04 Jan 2006


  Stuartli 14:13 04 Jan 2006

Do you not have a manual?

S-Video is a round DIN type plug and socket and the second sounds like a Centronics type socket. See:

click here

for examples.

Are there any Digital Audio (optical) and/or Digital Audio (coaxial) output sockets which could be used in combination with the S-Video, composite or component video output sockets for recording digital?

  woodchip 14:14 04 Jan 2006

This is a Crt so it would only be good for graphics Games etc

  jack 14:15 04 Jan 2006

No 90 page inchemprensible manual in Japlish then?

The serial looking thingy is the S video socket almost certainly.
Record digital.
This is what I do for my external digibox to VHS.
1. Set the digi box time and channel with its own resources.
2. Set the VHS time and channel selecting this time
[Strange I am doing this all the time and onw I come to type it I have forgotten what the channel is called but it comes after channel 5 ]So
BBc1 BBC2 ITV CH4 CH5 and now the next on SL or something like means from an external source.
Some VHS have a specific button one the control to select direct- On an old Sanyo I have it is called INPUT.

  Stuartli 14:16 04 Jan 2006

As it sounds like a flat CRT TV, using it as a monitor would not prove very effective.

You should also not use CAPITALS - it's known as shouting...:-)

  woodchip 14:17 04 Jan 2006

Manual does not say anything about the Socket like a Com port, And even less about recording digital. I have tried to record when whatching a Digital program but it records a Analog one instead

  Stuartli 14:18 04 Jan 2006

Bush sets, as far as I am aware, is now a Far Eastern brand rather than Japanese.

  pauldonovan 14:19 04 Jan 2006

..I don't think he has an external digibox... I think he wants to get freeview FROM telly to recorder... I've never tried this, but as Stuart says - if the TV has outputs it might work (although most TVs have mostly inputs!).

  pauldonovan 14:20 04 Jan 2006

We can look up info on net then.

  De Marcus™ 14:20 04 Jan 2006

Those sort of serial connections are generally used by engineers for fault diagnosis and entry to normally unseen menus. However I have seen them used (on a neovo tft) as an s-video connection, the adaptor came supplied to convert from serial rs232 to s-video, so presumably if there is no obvious socket for s-video then that must be it, I might still have the adaptor if you didn't get one with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017