Not able to get on internet

Boblee 16:56 15 Mar 2011

Hi, I have a Compaq Presario 6000 with Windows XP Home Edition. I am not able to get on the internet. When I click on Internet Explorer, just partial of the web page comes up but does not load all the way. It will not allow me to type anything in the URL, the computer just freezes up. I clicked on My Computer, went to Properties then to Hardware and Device Manager. I checked. The Network adapter is fine no yellow question mark, I updated the drivers and the WAN Network drivers. The modem is fine, I called my ISP and it’s fine on their end. I also updated Windows XP Edition. Can anyone please assist me? Thank you

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:25 15 Mar 2011

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:25 15 Mar 2011

Repair Internet Explorer explanation
click here

Boblee 18:29 15 Mar 2011

hi again, I tyed cmd in the run box then typed sfc / scannow. Nothing happened all it showed was:
/scannow /scanonce /scanboot /purgecache and /cachesize=x then another command prompt shows up C:\Documents ans settings \Eren>
Can someone please asset me on what to type in
thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:33 15 Mar 2011

You do not need cmd

just type
sfc /scannow (watch the space between c and /)
press OK

You should then see it start and a progress bar, it can take sometime when its finished it will just disappear.

Sea Urchin 18:36 15 Mar 2011

There was no mention of typing cmd in the Run box - just sfc /scannow (and note the one space - not two)

Sea Urchin 18:36 15 Mar 2011

Sorry Fruit Bat /\0/\ - cross posted

Boblee 18:42 15 Mar 2011

ok thanks, it going now, I'll let you know if it helped

Boblee 14:41 16 Mar 2011

Hi Fruit Bat, the sfc / scannow did not work. I loaded service pack 2 and updated to Internet Explorer 8. Able to get on internet know. Thank for your help.

Sea Urchin 16:05 16 Mar 2011

Why not go the full way and install Service Pack 3?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone