Nortons advice

Demora 22:26 08 Dec 2004

Hi

About a month ago I bought a new Toshiba Satelite A60 and it came preinstalled with Winxp home edition and sp2 also Norton AV and Internet security. In all the years I've had a computer I haven't ever used Nortons always AVG or PC-Cillin. and Zone Alarm. I'm a bit confused as to whats going to happen when I uninstall these Norton things under SP2 with all the added securities. BTW the Nortons stuff only has a 90 day free update so I'd like to get rid.

TIA

Demora

Giggle n' Bits 22:33 08 Dec 2004

and most other good virus/firewall software.

From Expierience get the Norton upgrade and steer clear from Zone Alarm & AVG. Laptops and these will deteriote hogg the laptop.

Removing Norton is simple, just go into the Add/remove and remove it including Live update after the programme and WMI update.

Danoh 22:47 08 Dec 2004

SP2 Security Centre will not change what you have to do to uninstall Norton. As always, if you will be running without anti-virus or a firewall, try to limit the amount of internet access during this time.

Add/remove programs does not get rid of all traces of Norton, but its sufficient for you to run some other firewall and A/V product. To prevent SP2's firewall conflicting with your other firewall product, remember to change the Security Centre's firewall settings to have XP-SP2's firewall off as default. And its best not to have 2 A/V products running at the same time as you obviously know.

I have used other A/V products as well as Norton's over many years of PC ownership. Personally I have decided to stay with Norton's Internet Security 2005 suite in preference to the others, but obviously thats your choice.

Hope that helps you to know how to uninstall should you wish to do so.

GaT7 23:46 08 Dec 2004

From personal experience when Norton (AV/IN security) works, it works very well. If you're one of the unlucky ones (like I've been on occasion), a small corruption during installation (or days to months later) could give you more than just a bad headache. It can also be a notorious resource-hog on some setups.

My Norton Internet Security's (2003) subscription ends in a week or so - I'm going to remove it & try the free alternatives suggested so often on this forum. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?