Nortons 2003 safe & fast clean up problem

ray27 19:03 08 Jun 2004

I am using Windows Xp Home on my system and use Norton System Works 2002.

Until recently whenever I used the Safe and Fast Clean up option it would clear everything out OK.

Now it leaves 2 files behind( 228KB) in the Internet History and will not delete them.

I have also used the Web Tools/ Begin Quick Clean option.

I have checked out the advanced option and they are not in there.

I have also checked out the option to clean up disk space in Control Panel/

Performance and Maintenance and they are not listed there .

I have unticked the box in Google tool bar/options refering to the history.

I am a bit worried they may be spyware although Ad-aware and Spybot say everything is OK(they are both up to date. )

Using Google I have looked at other site where people have posted the same problem but I have not found the solution yet.

Any sugestions as to how I can delete the 2 files?

Many thanks for any advice
Ray

Dorsai 19:12 08 Jun 2004

I doubt I can help, but it would be helpful to others, no doubt, if you named the two files and where they are...

MartinT-B 19:16 08 Jun 2004

Which files?
When were they created?
Are they in use?
Do you get an error msg?

Have you considered getting Systemworks 2003? £26.00 (+P&P) click here

ray27 07:19 09 Jun 2004

the 2 files are in the Internet History folder which I found in the settings option in clean sweep and I cant see what they actualy are.

I do have Systemworks 2003 I just mistyped the number

I checked out a forum where 2 people had the same problem and one of them said that the number of files keep increasing.

When you use clean sweep the brush icon sweeps and the green bar goes to nothing and it saysays it has cleared everything out but it still shows 228kb still in there (the green bar returns to show stuff still there ).

Idont get any error massages

ray27 08:21 09 Jun 2004

I have checked out nortons symantic site and it appears it may be a problem with index.dat in explorer that is corrupted.

There solution is to delete this file or reinstall clean sweep.

They sugest you contact microsoft and ask them for the information to delete index.dat

I wonder if I was to use the system restore, would this work ?

ray27 11:41 10 Jun 2004

I dont seem to be getting anywhere in this thread so I will close it and start another as I have more information and my request for help has changed
many thanks Ray

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?