norton2003 hacked and killed

red dragon 15:07 15 Jan 2003
  red dragon 15:07 15 Jan 2003

I recently noticed that my NIS 2003 wasnt running.
I tred to run it only to find all was turned off/disabled and wouldnt turn on.
Also I couldnt uninstall as it needed to be running to uninstall.
I removed it manually from the registry and reinstalled, but only antivirus worked> The firewall came up with an interger error and wont run. I had all the latest updates.... how can I stop this happening again??

Gaz 25 17:03 15 Jan 2003

A virus that has infected your system and disabled Norton.

see click here

for a small list of recent viruses that can do this.

Then on the same site click do an online virus scan... Which the damn thing can't turn off. If it finds one then download the removal tool and follow required instructions.

Hope this helps.
Gaz25

DieSse 17:25 15 Jan 2003

Look here for how to uninstall NAV and NIS, so as to avoid problems afterwards

click here

Viruses cannot de-activate your Av program unless they get into your system first. If your AV program scans incoming mail correctly, before it gets to your Inbox, then that should protect you fully. always supposing that you keep the virus pattern files up to date. I have mine set to check every hour, and by sheer co-incidence it just updated itself.

red dragon 23:09 15 Jan 2003

Thanks for the advise guys.
Norton is back up and running.
Strange though...norton was up to date. XP was up to date and office (outlook) was up to date.
Could I have got it through the preview pane when selecting it for deletion (which activates it anyway??).

Gaz 25 02:22 22 Feb 2003

Download Mailwasher to stop this, previe all mail before Outlook does.

click here

jazzypop 02:33 22 Feb 2003

No, preview pane is irrelevant in this case.

If Norton is up to date, it will kill any virus that it knows about at the moment that the virus is activated - if that activation is as a result of viewing via the preview pane, then that is the moment when Norton kills it. Just the same as if an attachment needs to be double-clicked to run it - it is the act of being run / activated that triggers Norton.

As DieSse says, Norton is also capable of viewing messages before they are delivered to your Inbox (this is the default Norton configuration), and a malicious script will not arrive in your Inbox.

« Ravin » 02:55 22 Feb 2003

make sure you have nortons e mail scanning enabled

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?