norton wont update any ideas???

Koochy 10:30 08 Sep 2006

Last night i installed norton internet security 2006 into a friends pc and everything went okay until i tried to update virus definitions and now the liveupdate wont work, it just says connecting to "liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com" and then just stops just to make sure it had had enough time to udate i left it running all night but this morning it still says connecting to liveupdate.

Pentium 4 3.ooghz
i GB ram
XP home SP 2
AOL 9 1.1 Mbps connection

Any help would be great

ArrGee 10:33 08 Sep 2006

You may probably have to reload the liveupdate application as it can hang at times.

(Or, ditch Norton altogether and use something less intrusive - and free - like Avast!)

Koochy 10:35 08 Sep 2006

I personally don't like Norton but my friend has read somewhere that Norton 2006 offers the best allround protection and isn't bothered about eating up resources so what can i do?

ArrGee 10:39 08 Sep 2006

Educate your friend! Did your friend read this on the box that Norton came in!

Norton is quite a complex anti-virus that (as you rightly say) eats up resources. Perhaps your friend could trial Avast (or AVG) for a while and then decide whether or not to revert to Norton.

terryf 10:43 08 Sep 2006

I agree with ArrGee, use the free AVG and Avast

Koochy 15:33 08 Sep 2006

Sorry about the delay getting back i have now convinced her to use the freebies AVG.
I will mark this thread as closed thanks to all for the prompt replies.

Thanks

Koochy

jimmer409® 19:44 08 Sep 2006

avoid norton it will case you big time grief!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?