Norton WMI

ventanas 08:55 11 Aug 2004

Just got a patch for this from the Live Update. Never heard of it before. Anyone any ideas?

JoeC 09:22 11 Aug 2004

you type WMI into search at Symantec, it brings up lots and all relate to Windows Management Instrumentation. Typing in " Norton WMI " has no hits.

ventanas 12:45 11 Aug 2004

Thank you.

Yokel 13:58 11 Aug 2004

Could this be the pre XP SP2 update for Norton ?

Yokel 14:02 11 Aug 2004

Could this be the pre XP SP2 Norton update ?

Sans le Sou 14:12 11 Aug 2004

Its preparing your programme for XPSP2. It will not activate if you do not install SP2, I think its supposed to integrate with the Windows Information Centre although it will keep your Norton information secret from Microsoft, or so it says. Personally they can shove SP2 where the sun don't shine.

Sethhaniel 14:18 11 Aug 2004

Sorry I panicked ;)

ventanas 14:54 11 Aug 2004

Thanks everyone. Am installing SP2 at home at the weekend when I will have more time.

Put it on one machine here at work this morning. Took one and half hours. Only 34 more to go.

JoeC 14:29 16 Aug 2004

regarding an entry in Msconfig re

usrprmpt.exe

Here is their reply - which mentions WMI

" Hello Joe,
Thank you for contacting Symantec Online Technical Support. In your message you wrote:>

"Since my last update for NAV and Personal Firewall, I have found an entry in msconfig called " usrprmpt.exe " . Can you please explain the function of this - which is under the Symantec banner ?? "

Joe, I understand your concern regarding the issue that you are facing. Please note that the file " usrprmpt.exe " pertains to Norton WMI (Windows management Instrumentation) Update that was released recently there no issues and please do not delete this file.
For more information please note that after downloading the Windows XP Service Pack 2, the Windows Security Center (WSC) will have a problem in accessing the Norton products since the Norton products are inherently tamper proof (i.e., they will not allow other applications to access its files). So the WSC does not display the status of Norton Security products properly. To resolve this issue Symantec has developed a product update called Norton WMI (Windows management Instrumentation) Update. This update will help WSC to interact with Norton products without any glitches.
Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance. Thank you for choosing Symantec.
Regards,
N. Suresh Symantec Authorized Technical Support "

ventanas 16:58 16 Aug 2004

Thank you, I think that's pretty comprehensive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?