Norton v McAfee

Gordal 20:14 27 Apr 2005

Advice appreciated - until recently I used Norton System Works, but have now changed to McAfee Internet Security 2005.

Is it possible to install LIMITED bits of NSW in addition to McAfee - I would choose to have the One Button Check facility( which includes Norton's Disk Doctor and Norton's Win Doctor,and Clean Sweep, leaving off the Ghost and Speed Disk etc.

Would appreciate your advice as to whether they would happily co-exist???

Gordal 21:51 27 Apr 2005

Considered opinions accepted and appreciated.

Gordal 21:52 27 Apr 2005

bump

Jak_1 22:08 27 Apr 2005

I don't see a problem but don't try and run two diff av programs together.

Ancient Learner 22:09 27 Apr 2005

I use Norton, but it is Ghost that is so important to me - it's brilliant!

DieSse 22:55 27 Apr 2005

Personally I wouldn't give either of them house room - they hog resources, slow things down, and generally have been the cause of many problems I have found among users. Windows already contains enough software to do perfectly well most of the things that NU does.

As for internet security, NOD32 click here cannot be beaten as an AV (faster, better detection, better heurustics) - and there are plenty of good solid free firewalls - such as Sygate click here

Add Adaware/Spybot/MSAntispyware - and you'll have a fast, non-bloated, stable system.

CurlyWhirly 15:18 28 Apr 2005

Personally I used to use Norton but found that it slowed my PC down though it did do it's job well.
I now use McAfee and have done for the last 2 years with NO problems.
Some people prefer FREE anti-virus software but I may be a cynic but I think that the PAID FOR versions always give you better protection, but I am probably in the minority here!

Gordal 17:25 28 Apr 2005

My thanks to Jak_1 - to Ancient Learner - to DieSse and to CurlyWhirly for your opinions. Your contributions are appreciated - "Every Day We Learn A Little More"?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone