Norton Utilities; uninstallation

VCR97 20:01 10 Dec 2004

I have just uninstalled Norton Utilities 2002. Just after the uninstallation began I received a warning "Failed to unregister file types". The only option was OK. I clicked that and the uninstallation appears to have completed. (Search finds no trace and I ran CCleaner.) What does that message mean and what was I supposed to do about it?

Diodorus Siculus 20:28 10 Dec 2004

"Failed to unregister file types" - as far as I know, when windows starts, each file type gets "registered" - some process or other is linked to it. When you reboot it should "unregister" them.

I may be well off the mark but that is how it was once explained to me. :-)

VCR97 20:56 10 Dec 2004

I have rebooted so that has probably taken care of the problem.

GaT7 22:15 10 Dec 2004

I've just done a search on the Symantec knowledgebase [click here] for you & this is what I found. You may have to follow them if you need to remove ALL traces:

For Windows 9x/Me: How to manually uninstall Norton Utilities 2002 - click here

For Windows NT/2000/XP: How to manually uninstall Norton Utilities 2002 - click here

If you PC appears to be running well I suggest to leave well alone. On the other hand, if you're having some problems & are confident of working in the registry, then have a go - just obey all the safeguards about backing-up the registry, etc. mentioned in the above links. G

VCR97 18:53 11 Dec 2004

You are obviously better than I am at navigating Symantec's KB. I'll have a go at all that tomorrow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?