norton unisnstall

ruskle 13:10 25 Jan 2006

My 3 months old Tosh laptop has Norton Antivirus suite installed and has now reached the point where they are asking for 30 quid to keep the updates running. I have been using Norton Products for years now but reading the forums here praising AVG makes me think of a change to it.
How do I completely uninstall Norton even down to the register and is it worth while. Also which AVG is free and recomended.
I am no cheapskate but on the forums advice will change, and use the £30 for beer and smarties.

Russell.

rmcqua 13:28 25 Jan 2006

Go into control panel > add and remove programs and uninstall anyt hing on the list that looks like Norton or Symantec. As far as I'm aware this should remove down to registry entries. It's just possible that you may need to separately remove desktop shortcut and/or start > all programs entry.
Some forum members prefer Avast Home to AVG. I've found them both to be good... links here:
click here
click here

Totally-braindead 13:34 25 Jan 2006

Take my advice, forget the smarties and buy more beer. AVG free click here Norton you should be able to remove using add/remove programs if it won't remove itself there are removal tools on the Symantec website, find the one that corresponds to the Norton Edition you have and download it before you start. Download AVG but do not install it at this time. Use add/remove programs then to remove Norton, if it works then fine, if not then use the removal tool you downloaded. Then install AVG and that should be it. If theres bits of Norton left then you can try ccleaner click here one of the things it can do is check the registry and remove bits left over when you uninstall programs that should be it, you should now connect to the internet, update AVG and check that its working ok.

Skyver 13:59 25 Jan 2006

Probably this if it's that new click here=

heidelberg 15:14 25 Jan 2006

I did exactly this two days ago, after advice from this forum.

First I used add/remove programs and removed every mention of both symantec and norton. Then, using the windows search facility, I manually removed every mention of both symantec and norton. After that I used the Norton removal tool mentioned by Skyver above (having downloaded tool and printed instructions before I started!) Finally I ran Registry Mechanic which appears to have removed the registry entries that mention symantec and norton.

When done I installed AVG free and Zone Alarm Free firewall. Everything appears fine.

Good luck, then enjoy the beer, or perhaps the other way round!

Dave

ruskle 19:42 25 Jan 2006

Thanks chaps for the sound advice. Job well done and running now after the update.

Enjoying beer and forgetting smarties.

Russell (hic hic)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?