Norton Toolbar safe to use ?

crespo 19:07 25 Apr 2015

I've just installed Norton Security 2015 and been prompted to use the Norton Toolbar extension from Chrome. Is this toolbar safe to use or is it a form of adware or similar and can this toolbar access sensitive information ? Apologies if this appears silly, but i'm a silver surfer with my first computer and concerned about security. Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:24 25 Apr 2015
  1. did you ask for it?

2. do you need it

if not then leave it off as most toolbars are trackers as such.

Norton is a reasonable security suite but you still need to use common sense when browsing the web, stay away from dodgy sites.

Be careful when downloading and installing programs - always use the custom install and untick / refuse all the extra "crap" that comes packaged with the installer.

ADWcleaner is free and will rid your computer of PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs) and "addon ons" / tool bars

CCleaner is another free program that will clear temporary files and tracking cookies from browsing (use on a regular basis)

There are many silver surfers on this forum with plenty of experience willing to help - just ask.

Enjoy your first computer.

1]: [click here 2]: [click here

sunnystaines 09:46 26 Apr 2015

I am a fan of norton products but gave up ages ago on the norton toolbar, still use norton security.

it has had compatability problems with chrome browser for ages.

final straw was the "ask search" part which in my opinion is hopless.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?