Norton TCP and UDP Inbound

alythman 14:03 12 Mar 2004

I have Norton's Firewall 2003 and it has worked fine for long enough, but recently it has started to send uo a message Program Control, giving the date and protocol as udp (inbound) or TCP (inbound). Each time it does this, I block it as recommended, but it just keeps coming back. The remote address it gives changes every time, but still with the same results. I have run my anti-virus and Spybot as well as adawar 6 pro, but none of the programs pick up anything. Can someone please help. Thank you in advance!
Matt

ade.h 17:55 11 Apr 2004

I've been experiencing the same with Internet Security 2004, hence my search for this post.

The 2003 version did not do this, so I don't think it's really a serious security threat.

But it pops up every few seconds and is really disruptive.

The so-called attacks have often been aimed at port 1026, but other ports have shown up too.

Can anyone throw some light on the cause, or describe how this particular feature can be safely turned off?

I've disabled the Intrusion Detection Alerts, but without success.

ade.h 18:52 11 Apr 2004

Like alythman, the alerts I have had are titled "Program Control" even though all the suspect communications are inbound, not outbound.

I've searched the Symantec FAQs with no results and the product manual has nothing about these alerts or how to ged rid of them.

R4 19:41 11 Apr 2004

The frequency of these alerts depends on how you have configured your Firewall and if you have auto configure on start up set. You should be able to stop these alerts,the configuration 'Help' will assist you in this

CDL 19:52 11 Apr 2004

Hello !

Yes, I've had exactly the same problem of late with NIS 2003. I checked everything.Complained to my ISP,complained to Symantec, did independent online virus scans,ran all the usual tests,ran Spybot etc etc etc.

Then eventually I discovered that if I disabled 'Connection Keep Alive' the problem didn't occur !

I don't know why this has just started happening though.
I am interested to know if this 'remedy' works for you !

CL

ade.h 20:11 11 Apr 2004

Thanks for the feedback; however, I don't have Connection Keep Alive or similar software. NIS is the only active internet-related app I have.

The '03 version never gave me any trouble, although it was much more fine-tunable than '04. The less adjustable interface has taken some getting used to.

ade.h 20:14 11 Apr 2004

What do you mean by "auto-configure on start-up"? I can't see it mentioned in the manual index.

In the meantime, I'll work thru' the Help menu as you suggested and let you know...

CDL 20:32 11 Apr 2004

ade.h
OK: This is the Connection Keep Alive in 'Web Tools'/Norton System Works.

But if you haven't got it...!

And I thought that I'd found a common denominator.

Anyway all I can say is that as soon as I disable the said C K A I get no more Alerts. Turn it back on and they stream in again!A point of interest is that the notification cites a different address from my Favourites Folder,each alert, as the 'attacked' address.

Strange ?

ade.h 20:51 11 Apr 2004

Well, I've been thru' the Help menu; nothing about Program Control Alerts, it only explains how to use the Program Control section to configure outbound access for internet-enabled apps. It's as if these alerts don't exist!

ade.h 20:55 11 Apr 2004

I've just had six near-identical alerts in quick succession, with only the source IP address and port varying, while my connection has been idle!
This is driving me nuts.

Lozzy 21:11 11 Apr 2004

Question to all of you Why haven't you blocked the TCP and UDP in Norton Firewall?? You should always block inbound TCP then UDP then TCP/UDP then ICMP.. All inbound not Outbound.

That will stop these alerts.. And it will not effect your surfing pleasure..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?