Norton SystemWorks replacement

novis 00:11 06 Jul 2007

Changing to a laptop running Windows Vista has left me stranded without a simple to use reg cleaner and optimiser such as SystemWorks which is not Vista Compatible.

Can anyone recommend an alternative that is SIMPLE TO RUN and peferably FREE - or one that once instaled I do not have to pay annually to update?

skidzy 06:36 06 Jul 2007

This i swear by,Winaso. click here WinASO Registry Optimizer Version 3.0.9

This has helped others in the past and is on all my machines.
Not totally free,it has an unlimited trial version that will correct 10 errors at any one time,then you can rescan and repair.
Also does much more.

sunny staines 07:48 06 Jul 2007

as skiddzy for reg cleaner
iobit awc2 to replace one button check
ccleaner to replace cleansweep
iobit defrag to replace norton defrag

the last 3 all free download from majorgeeks.com

i use these 4 to replace NSW on my XP.Much better results.

novis 20:38 06 Jul 2007

Thanks - I'll give them a try.

sunny staines 10:31 08 Jul 2007

how did you get on

compumac 11:16 08 Jul 2007

iobit awc2 to replace one button check?

I found that One button Check was a useful tool but cannot locate this replacement for One Button Check on the majorgeeks site.

sunny staines 13:37 08 Jul 2007
  sunny staines 13:39 08 Jul 2007

before running click on "status" button at bottom of the screen then on update database mid screen to get latest database info.

compumac 15:13 08 Jul 2007

Thanks for that. awc2 threw me, I did not latch on to it referring to version 2.

compumac 15:27 13 Jul 2007

I put AWC2 onto old PC and worked OK. I decided to try it out on my main PC today that is currently still using Norton SystemWorks 2006 Premier (but this will be removed when the antivirus subscription runs out) - I used One Button check within Systemworks and it found 12 problems and these were corrected. Subsequently with AWC, running Registry Check ONLY, it found 555 problems!! I requested that these be corrected and indeed there was a moderate increase in accessing programmes afterwards.

How did you find that aspect of AWC compare with One Button Check?

novis 18:45 14 Jul 2007

I found AWC very comprehensive - however, running it with a Word file open resulted [although this was perhaps coincidental] in the file being deleted. It was not recoverable in a usable condition.

I would recommend closing everything and letting AWC run on its own rather than in the background - and certainly not without backing up an open file.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?