Norton system works

MIKE 13:52 04 Dec 2003

I have recently bought a new pentium4 computer. I would like advice whether i could load my old system works2000 to the new machine or would I have to purchase a new version. I have attempted to contact Symantec through their web site but seem to get nowhere.
Also I would be greatfulfor any comments as to whether it's worth ubinganyway. I found it quite helpful when using it on windows 98 butI believe PX is more stable.
by the way I do not have a floppy drive on my new mahine

mikegoggs2000 14:07 04 Dec 2003

I think it should be fine on your new machine, if theres no drive A: then norton should know this. Make sure your fully up to date though

Regards

JIM 14:26 04 Dec 2003

Symantec 2000 was not compatbile.

Norton AntiVirus

Norton CleanSweep

Norton Internet Security

Norton Systemworks

Norton Utilities

If you’re running any of Symantec’s popular Norton products, you’ll need to upgrade to new XP-compatible versions that should be available by the time Windows XP ships. Symantec says none of the old ones will work properly. In almost all cases, you’ll have to buy the new versions, although Symantec may give the upgrades free to very recent customers. Check Symantec's Web site for details.

I personaly would not attempt the install.Getting rid of what is left behind in registry if you did go ahead and then decided to uninstall could be a right pain.

AndyJ 16:09 04 Dec 2003

Compatibility of System Works click here=

Terry Brown 16:28 04 Dec 2003

Nortons 2000 will not run on an XP System.
The Earlies version that is acceptable is Norton 2003

MIKE 17:04 04 Dec 2003

thanks for your assistance in this. I looks like I'll have to spend out on a new program

Gaz 25 18:12 04 Dec 2003

I installed NSW 2002 on XP and it totally messed it up... NAV would not work, and NSW paused the whole system up!

Now running NSW and Panda Antivirus Platinum + Norton P Firewall 2004 versions all ok.

David-235429 18:53 04 Dec 2003

I had same problem, had Systemworks 2001 but got new pc with XP pro and Systemworks 2001 would not install. Went on E-Bay and got Systemworks 2003 Pro for a tenner which includes a years subscripton!

timothywilliam 19:35 04 Dec 2003

I agree with the Norton Help site. Absolutely useless. I have trouble with a Norton Firewall installation and cannot get any help whatsoever. I would never buy a Norton product again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017