Norton SW - bug or virus?

olyman 10:57 20 Mar 2004

I used NSW to uninstall a mystery program which was monitored by NSW CleanSweep although I hadn’t installed it. When I viewed the files that had been removed I found they included the contents of Outlook Express including all the folders that I had set up there. Like a fool I hadn’t backed up first. I restored the program but found that my OE folders were still missing together with the contents of my Inbox etc. I looked in the Norton Protected Bin and found the missing DBX files.
I used NSW to restore a couple of them but they didn’t appear in OE although they had gone from the Bin.
Any clues? Virus or NSW faulty? How do I get at the missing files?
I could run System Restore, I have XP, but I am afraid of loosing the files permanently.
HELP!!

olyman 11:29 20 Mar 2004

Further investigation indicates that NSW is restoring the files to itself...C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\APPLICATION DATA\SYMANTEC\NORTON ANTIVIRUS though a search of this location doesn't reveal them.
How do I get them back into Outlook Express?

olyman 15:59 20 Mar 2004

I have used NSW to try to restore the OE files into the Outlook Express Folder(C:\Documents and Settings\.........\Application Data\Identities\{85337C3C-C9A0-4DE9-9D35-D20F56F1A682}\Microsoft\Outlook Express) but they still aren't visible. I have also tried to Import the files to OE again without sucess.

Is there anyone out there??

Gaz 25 16:17 20 Mar 2004

maybe they are hidden files??

olyman 16:48 20 Mar 2004

:-))They are visible and substantial DBX files that can only be opened in OE if only I could get it to see them!

olyman 11:35 21 Mar 2004

An update if anyone is interested.
I managed to retrieve most of my lost OE files by using DBXtract, a very useful freeware program from OEHelp.com/DBXtract. I had to copy individual folders to new folders set up in My Documents. Indvidual files can be copied from there to OE but I won't bother with this tedious process as I now have the contents stored in a readable form. A large number of Inbox files are still missing but I'll have to live with that.

olyman 11:36 21 Mar 2004

I managed to retrieve most of my lost OE files by using DBXtract, a very useful freeware program from OEHelp.com/DBXtract. I had to copy individual folders to new folders set up in My Documents. Indvidual files can be copied from there to OE but I won't bother with this tedious process as I now have the contents stored in a readable form. A large number of Inbox files are still missing but I'll have to live with that.

olyman 11:36 21 Mar 2004

olyman 11:39 21 Mar 2004

Sorry about the multiple posts

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)