Norton subscription???

lewis187 14:36 29 Feb 2004

i bought my pc about 3 months ago and it came with the usual software. I was pleased to see that it came with a 'free full version' of the norton anti-virus program.
But now when ever i try to run live update it takes me direct to the symantec web-site and tells me that my subscription has expired, offering me the option to purchase a private or a company version.
i then cancelled it and went ahead with trying live update and it refused saying my subscription has expired, and even on my norton main page is says: "subscription expired on ...."!
Does any one know if this means i never got a free full version of norton or i just havnt done something in order to recieve the full program or anything else?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Lewis

Diodorus Siculus 14:39 29 Feb 2004

Generally speaking preloaded versions of norton come with a 90 day (sometime 1 year) subscription.

If I were you, I would uninstall it and replace it with either Avast (my preference) or AVG - both are free to use and very effective.

timothywilliam 16:21 29 Feb 2004

Don't tell me about Norton !!!!
And don't bother with their Help site either, as someone said recently its like a chocolate radiator.

I had trouble with my subscription and spent hours trying to sort it out but they do have a telphone contact number in Dublin, not a Premium number which I refuse to use, and although the chap I spoke to went all vague on me they did sort it out as my subscription came up in the dialogue box as a correct date about two weeks later. And for good measure they started the date later than it was due. So go for the telphone I suggest.

joy2 17:06 29 Feb 2004

i have had 3 viruses that my paid for norton has failed to detect yet the free avg detected them every time.
norton sucks

Ivor_Monkey 17:48 29 Feb 2004

You will get a variety of opinions on here. Do a search. Personally, I think norton on balance is worth paying for (only just). The update service is more frequent than the freebies.

anchor 17:52 29 Feb 2004

I have used versions of Norton A/V for years, and they have never let me down. I update daily from the Norton site. New definition files are released every working day.

I don`t know if this phone number is still current for renewals, but the last one I had, (18 months ago), was:

0207 6165600

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?