norton stoping me web viewing

androski 18:09 21 Jan 2004

please help ive spent atleast 40 hours trying to sort it. norton internet security has stopped me veiwing web sites and using msn messenger all i get come up is cannot find server. if i turn it off every things ok. i got it working last night then done live update and know it tells me that im being attact by a trojan horse which im not.please please help.

Konrad i&i 00:45 22 Jan 2004

I have had similar experience where, like you, I sometimes get "cannot find server" but more often page freezes and especially drop-down selection boxes on web pages appear to be dead. The only solution I have found is not very elegant but does work for sites you visit regularly. Open NIS, select Options/Web Content, Add Site (specif web site that you want to access, ensure to check mark Scripts = Permit.
So my real problem is when browsing lots of sites that I don't intend to visit regularly. When doing this I usually disable NIS - which I don't like doing.
I would be interested to here about better solutions. I have tried Norton/Symantec themselves, but they were not much help.

Barson 19:05 24 Jan 2004

I had a similar problem with some sites, and found that it was caused by the Norton firewall not being set up to allow these sites access to your computer. I recommend that you go through the firewall settings and either key in the sites you wish to access, or restore defaults. Also check that your browser security setting are not set too high.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?