Norton Security...Wow, that was fast...

Fateful Shadow 09:45 13 Oct 2006

I bought a new laptop a few days ago, and as with most new laptops/PCs it came with Norton; in this case, Norton Internet Security.

From previous experience and from what i've heard from others, it's a good but memory-hogging application. However, I seem to be having a problem with it already.

If I put the laptop into hibernate, awaken it and then try to shut it down, "ccApp.exe" takes an age to shut down (in excess of 5 minutes easily!). It also occurs occasionally if I have been using Windows/Microsoft Update.

I suppose there's no quick fix, but i've got about 87 days left of free updates, so should I stick it out or move to some other Internet Security?

Thanks =]

Diodorus Siculus 10:09 13 Oct 2006

Take it out and put in one of the free options eg ZoneAlarm Firewall, MailWasher AntiSpam and Avast Anti Virus.

Coupled with a few good anti-spyware modules you will be ok.

beynac 10:11 13 Oct 2006

If you are not going to renew Norton, when the free trial ends, I would uninstall it now. The more updates you get, the more likely you are to have trouble ininstalling.

It should uninstall properly using Add/Remove Programs. If not, there are tools you can use.

I suggest that you use a good, free anti-virus program and firewall.

Two good anti-virus programs:
Avast: click here AVG: click here
Both are free, for personal use.

Firewalls:
Sunbelt-Kerio: click here
ZoneAlarm: click here
Again, both are free.

Fateful Shadow 10:24 13 Oct 2006

Thanks for the replies. I have used Avast and ZoneAlarm on PCs before so I will probably change to those.

Is there also a free program that will block ads?

Thanks again =]

mattyc_92 11:41 13 Oct 2006

If you use FireFox, then download the extension "Adblock" from click here ;-)

Otherwise, do a search on download.com, as I have seen a few there in the past

Diodorus Siculus 11:52 13 Oct 2006

click here
Hosts files - one solution to ad blocking.

Fateful Shadow 23:48 14 Oct 2006

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I'm now using Avast and ZA, with Adaware on the side. My computer is running much faster and i'm not getting those annoying problems with ccApp.exe

Norton even uninstalled without a hitch (touches wooden door!)

Thanks again =]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?