Norton and MSConfig

HauxtonPhil 10:37 22 Jul 2004

I'm trying to help a friend with a failed Norton installation (Norton Anti virus) on a Dell Win XP Home. The friend failed to renew the subscription at the end of teh 3 month trial, so went out and bought a copy. Tried to insatll it but on clicking on the icon on the screen, it wouldn't run. I tried to reinstall it again, running the pre installation check and detecting no viruses.
Could not uninstall it, or reinstall it. I folowed the help route on the Symantec page to sort this out. I successfully deleted the temp files but when I tried to run teh machine with no programs running (by Start>Run>msconfig) the msconfig window appears for a couple of milliseconds (literally!) then disappears. Any help gratefully received.

Diodorus Siculus 10:42 22 Jul 2004

Try Mike Lin's startup control panel

click here

HauxtonPhil 10:51 22 Jul 2004

Is there no 'safe mode' in XP or some other way of running msconfig?

temp003 10:59 22 Jul 2004

The fast-disappearing msconfig could be a sign of a virus. If it is a virus, there are a number of viruses which can do this.

Try Panda online scan click here

Stinger click here

It may or may not be a virus, but try.

If there is a virus, after removal, restart.

Then you should try to uninstall Norton Antivirus first. Has he got any other Symantec/Norton products on his computer?

click here and follow the instructions. Make sure you restart after uninstalling NAV.

Then try to install again from the CD.

HauxtonPhil 11:02 22 Jul 2004

Is it possible/advisable to uninstall/install NAV in Safe Mode (which I now believe is achieved by f8 on booting)?

Daz35 11:56 22 Jul 2004

Eventually, I found out that one of my PC's had a worm on it (wasn't being used on the net - only once and I managed to get a worm!)

Do as many scans using freebies as you can to try and find the virus/worm whatever, get rid of it then try to install Norton again.(after uninstalling trial version)

Norton doesn't seem to want to install if there's something already on your system.

Probably a good idea to uninstall in safe mode, and try and get rid of any trace of the original install before you re-install. (clear out all temp files etc)

Good luck!

HauxtonPhil 09:35 26 Jul 2004

I downloaded the latest version of Stinger from the McAfee site. When I ran it, it found 3 incidences of W32/sdbot.worm.gen which it deleted. After that, I was able to delete the temp files, run msconfig to start up with no programs running, uninstall the non functioning version and re install NAV. Thank you to everyone who helped resolve my problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?