Norton Live Update Virus

bob's 14:10 01 Jan 2006

Last friday i ran Norton 2006 Nis live update as i do every friday and on rebooting my computer it would not boot up. It will only start in safe mode and on running Stinger from a Pen Drive it finds two viruses named Sdot Gen k virus and Sdot Gen i virus and deletes them. System restore will not work and when i try to uninstall Norton with SymNRT it will not run in safe mode.I put the windows xp disc in to try and repair windows but it will not boot from it.Anyone got any suggestions before i have to reformat it.That Norton is some load of C--p of a anti virus program.I have another computer with Norton installed on it and i am afraid to run Live update on it in case of another disaster.

Dr. Charles(retired now) 14:26 01 Jan 2006

This could be associated with what I posted yesterday

Posted this y`day

If you look on yesterday's postings, you will see that I had this problem with others. It's all to do with that update.

I decided to uninstall Norton Internet Security 2005 intending to reinstall it, but found that there were still bits of the programme left on my computer -- -- -- -- you cannot reinstall Norton Internet Security 2005 whilst there are still part of the programme on your hard disk. I tried everything even going through the search facility to get rid of all the stuff with Norton on.

There is only one way to get it off your computer, and that is a special tool that Norton have on the Internet and you download it. I ran the tool and would you believe it took off my copy of Ghost 9 as well. Norton has never run well on my computer because I use voice recognition systems as well. I've replaced it with AVG professional which includes a firewall also. It's weird how some of us just don't get on with some of the products which we are told are market leaders for no apparent reason.
Best,
Charles :)

bob's 14:52 01 Jan 2006

That tool will not run for me in safe mode and i cannot get the computer to boot normally.Did you get a virus on yours as well?

LivEviL 15:00 01 Jan 2006

go to regedit and delete all the registry files asigned to norton or the symantec corp and also delete any previous files left on ur comp by norton! also if u have another computer to hand make the 'Ultimate boot cd 4 windows' u boot it like you would with ur windows cd and u can do registry fix's virus scans etc click here its not that hard to make just read the instruction and keep your eyes pealed!

LivEviL 15:02 01 Jan 2006

oh and also make sure u have a copy of the windows xp Cd on that computer coz the UBCD4Win extracts some files from it to restore registry ect

bob's 15:29 01 Jan 2006

Thanks for the information.I am now downloading Ultimate Boot Cd 4 Windows and i will post back tomorrow when i try it. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?