Norton Internet Security - Slow Startup

jaycup 22:34 21 Feb 2005

Since installing the 2005 version a few days ago my boot up time to a full desktop has stretched from 1 minute (Norton 2004) to 4 minutes now. I get the 'welcome' music quickly enough but the it takes forever to load the services and start up items of which apart from I.S. there are only five. I have just un-installed the software and my system was fully booted in 45 seconds. I have tried to get an answer on the Symantec web-site but to no avail. I am running Windows XP Pro. Has anyone come across this problem or seen any reference to it, I tried Google but never got anywhere with this either. The one thing I did notice that when installing my 'Start-Up Monitor' program highlighted the fact that Norton requested about six services to run at start-up could this be the problem and if so would I benefit by changing these from 'automatic' to manual in System Services.

VoG II 22:37 21 Feb 2005
  jaycup 23:02 21 Feb 2005

Thanks for the link, not exactly 'bedtime-reading' but very informative. I will struggle on and try to resolve my Norton problem but I cannot live with a four minute boot up so in the end I may have to write it off and load AVG.
By the way I do agree with all that has been said re uninstalling Norton it is a nightmare and so messy.

Furthark 19:28 22 Feb 2005

jaycup. You are not alone! Since installing Nortons 2005, my computer also takes more time to start, I don't think we can put it down to anything but the program.

Celery is very stringy 22:03 28 Feb 2005

Me too, slow as hell to startup

Tog_ 23:45 28 Feb 2005

Is there an option/schedule to do a scan at startup?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone