Norton Internet security problems/settings

Murghalador 16:24 23 Jul 2007

I have been unable to connect to the windows update site or to symantecs site. Eventually I turned off Norton internet security for 30 minutes and could hten connect to both sites.
Can someone please advise why this is happening? I haven't changed any of the settings in Norton but about 3 weeks ago I started having slow performance when connected to the internet and being unable to reach some sites.
I run XP SP2 and IE6 ( uninstalled IE7 because of slowness)

birdface 16:52 23 Jul 2007

Turn off Microsoft automatic up-dates and see if your computer works any faster,And open Taskmanager, Processes. and see if there is any program using up your Cpu.System Idle process should be showing about 97% and all the rest the remaining 3% between them.Now unfortunately everytime I hear of someone with problems and they have Norton Installed.I automatically think,Well thats the problem,If you cant get it fixed as a last resort,Delete Norton i/s .Run Norton removal Tool, Then run C Cleaner, Then reinstall Norton.But just do that if everything else fails.

brundle 18:16 23 Jul 2007

try click here
Don't turn off automatic updates except as a last resort.

Try Dialafix to tackle many update and secure site issues; click here

Disconnect from the net and disable Norton while Dialafix is running.

This can also be an issue with incorrect MTU size in your router or TCP/IP settings; sometimes your own PC, sometimes a server your information is routed through on its way across the 'net.

mfletch 18:44 23 Jul 2007

Hi Make sure that Windows firewall is turned off if you are using Norton's firewall they will conflict with each other.

mfletch

Murghalador 17:24 24 Jul 2007

Thank you all for your replies.
To cut a long story short I contacted Norton and they suggested I download the 2007 update. I did this and after installation I did a scan. This found some tracker cookies which the previous version hadn't. I don't suppose it caused the problem though.
Anyway, my PC is back to it's old self and I can connect to windows update without having to disable Norton.
And guese what, I have switched off automatic updates!

Once again thanks for your time

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone