Norton Internet Security problem

g0slp 09:29 22 Nov 2004

Running NAV/NIS 2003 on XP Home/SP2
Paid up until 6/05.

For some reason the Intrusion Detection function has turned itself off & won't allow me to activate it. I keep getting the message 'failed to save setting. Please check that your Windows account is not restricted'.

I'm logged on as supervisor.

I can't seem to get the online help to open either, although the help dialogue opens OK. I haven't found anything to assist in it.

I'm sure that I'm missing something glaringly obvious, but what?

Thanks in advance.

g0slp 09:38 22 Nov 2004

Symantec site now opens; appears that 2003 is not supported any more, even though they've got a sub until June 05 out of me...

Thoughts, anyone?

Carafaraday 09:47 22 Nov 2004

It would seem that Norton expects you to buy the new version each year rather than renew an old version. I got 2005 for under £25 which worked out about as cheap as renewing. I have seen other posts about older versions not being supported and I suspect many people on this forum will advise you to go for one of the free AVs. I'm really not sure why I didn't do so myself!

g0slp 09:51 22 Nov 2004

It's a bit rich taking cash for updating, then withdrawing support without any notification though, isn't it?

I've emailed them, but not holding my breath :-(

Pete1 10:36 22 Nov 2004

I had exactly the same message recently, even though I am on NAV/NIS 2004 running on XP home with subscription till 02/05.

I logged onto Live Update site, and there was an update for Intrusion Detection Signatures, once downloaded all system functions were ok.

I was disappointed that Norton do not generate any warning message or even a red cross on the icon to indicate that there is a problem with part of the system.

Sans le Sou 11:48 22 Nov 2004

Agree with action suggested by Pete1

Sans le Sou 11:51 22 Nov 2004

You can still get the updates, its just the technical support that has been withdrawn, never thought it was that good anyway.

g0slp 12:14 22 Nov 2004

Thanks for responses folks; the problem is that I can't activate the thing though...

GaT7 13:32 22 Nov 2004

Try this click here=. Will not be surprised if you have to reinstall NIS. Good luck, G

PS - I'm using NIS2003. The subscription runs out next month. Going to go in for the free AV & firewall programs. Have had enough problems uninstalling/reinstalling NIS2003 each time there's a problem.

GaT7 13:37 22 Nov 2004

If you have more problems try searching their knowledgebase at click here. That's how I found the above link (& solutions for all MY Norton poblems). G

g0slp 13:40 22 Nov 2004

Thanks for links - got to go out now, but will post back later.

Mark

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?