Norton Internet Security™ 2005 AntiSpyware Edition

powerless 21:41 18 Apr 2005

Another application to combat the you know what.

click here

Public BETA!

Taff36 22:42 18 Apr 2005

Have used NAV 2000 - 2003 and it the last one is going to run out in May. Despite all the criticisms NAV has never let me down so why not try out a beta version.

Powerless - When I followed your link it said that I should "be sure to follow the installation instructions in the readme file that accompanies the beta software." but there was no read me file saved to my disk. Any suggestions? (Do I uninstall previous versions etc?)

powerless 00:14 19 Apr 2005

Well have you installed it?

Taff36 07:25 19 Apr 2005

Without some instructions on whether to remove NAV2003 first I`m not sure I want to. What do you think? I know removing NAV completely is a pain (I have the Symantec tool just in case).

sunny staines 15:01 19 Apr 2005

for those who already have a NIS product it is very unclear. I am waiting till I hear a bit more, i do not want to mess up my NIS program which I feel might happen when the beta expires.

I had similar problems with a trial download with office 2003.

Taff36 15:12 19 Apr 2005

I e-mailed them this morning so I`ll let you know what they say.

sunny staines 17:00 19 Apr 2005

ta

Yoda Knight 09:40 20 Apr 2005

I installed this last night. I got no message to say uninstall any other Symantec products or anything. I then was asked to reboot, and the proverbial s**t hit the fan....

After the usual wavy windows flag I got a black screen instead of the log on screen. I managed to reboot in safe mode, but was unable to uninstall the program due to being in safe mode. I tried to reboot again and was told that something in c:\windows\system32\system\ is corrupt and Windows cannot continue, please try a repair using your Windows disk (and we all know how well that works !)

I know what I'll spend tonight doing... :(

sunny staines 16:18 20 Apr 2005

Beta is always a risk, I always wait a little till the forum experts try it out and report back to the forum this helps lesser computer users like myself make a better decision

Taff36 10:12 21 Apr 2005

No response to my e-mail either. Thanks Yoda Knight. I think I`ll just wait and see or maybe just go for Avast when my subscription runs out.

dogbreath1 10:36 21 Apr 2005

...'Beta is always a risk'

So is Norton!

So the combination is probably deadly!!;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?