Norton Internet Security 2004 Installation Problem

Di31 00:07 31 Jan 2004

Previouly I created a thread on this site re problem I was having gaining access to some websites, and inability to configure NIS to allow this, receiving messages when attempting to access Options and Privacy Control, "You do not have sufficient privileges etc", or "you do not have rights etc". You advised my supervisor was corrupted and forwarded Symantec document.

However, shortly after receiving your reply I was upgraded from Windows 98 to XP, so uninstalled Norton, and attempted to install to XP, with no success. Each time the instal process reaches Privacy Control, an error message appears "Norton Internet Security Installation has failed. Would you like to try again?"

Trying again several times has the same result.
Following the instructions on Symantec Document ID: 2003100713570236 also produces the same result. My son checked the disc on his computer and it installed immediately with no problem.
Why does it always stall on reaching Privacy Control. Does it have any connection to my previous problem? I did a search this morning for all Norton files and folders on my c drive, and there are none, so there is no problem there.

I would appreciate some help with this before I *!@: the computer out the window!! I have written to Symantec Tech support, but as you answered my last request so quickly, decided to place this one with you, too. I don't like having to leave my computer unprotected

Thanks in advance, Diana.

Gaz 25 01:16 31 Jan 2004

What can I say. Typical.

Get AVAST, AVG or buy Panda Internet Security.

Nortons products have been so unreliable.

Di31 04:00 31 Jan 2004

Thanks Gaz 25,

On your advice I have just downloaded and installed Avast, and will forget about Norton. It looks to be as good as Norton, and I've wasted too much time this week trying to instal it, and writing letters for help. Thanks for the advice. Diana.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?