Norton Internet Security 2004 - Adware not blocked

David-235429 20:36 21 Mar 2004

I have Norton Systemworks 2003 and Norton Internet Security 2004 (with the firewall set to "on" ) and running Windows XP.
A virus scan detected a number of infected files of which 7 could not be deleted, these are all Adware. As my Norton updates are automatic and the firewall always on I dont understand why these adware files have found their way on to my pc. One of them is characterised by a window appearing on shutdown saying "wupdater.exe is not responding" Norton gives instuctions on how to delete these and this involves changing the registry.

Is there any way of safely and easily deleting these using some kind of Adware blocking software?

GaT7 21:06 21 Mar 2004

Norton products will not block ad/spyware pests. For this you need Adaware AND Spybot-S&D - yes BOTH - they complement each other. They'll remove most scumware & both have a backup feature so if anything should go wrong you can always restore the deletions. Also consider installing another program, SpywareBlaster, to prevent scum from entering your PC in the first place.

To download - Adaware - click here - Spybot-S&D - click here - SpywareBlaster -click here . All the programs are freeware. Remember to check for UPDATES regularly & BEFORE scanning for the first time.

Also visit this site & have a good read - click here - about dealing with unwanted spyware and parasites.

GaT7 21:15 21 Mar 2004

For the "wupdater.exe is not responding" problem this might help -click here - varying things worked for different people so check them all out.

temp003 05:07 22 Mar 2004

Did you actually install the Norton Antivirus 2004 that came with NIS 2004? Only NAV 2004 includes protection against spyware and adware, and I don't know how good it is. Also, sometimes spyware and adware comes bundled with something you want to download (screensavers?), in which case the anti-spyware program/firewall may not stop it. If you suspect an internet program which you downloaded is the culprit, uninstall it and restart.

For detection and removal of spyware you can try spybot s & d click here or Adaware click here install either and update it before doing your scan.

For prevention, you can try Spyware Blaster.

To try and let Norton remove it for you,
download and install Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel first: click here

Go to Control Panel, double click the Startup icon, and go through each tab to find the reference to wupdater.exe under the Path column (expand column if necessary). If you see wupdater.exe untick the box. Normally it's under HKLM Run, but do go through each tab and untick all references to the file.

With XP, you should disable system restore (you will lose all restore points). Then restart computer. Let Norton scan your computer and see if it can remove wupdater.exe for you.

If none of the above programs work, post back for manual removal.

David-235429 22:12 23 Mar 2004

Just a quick update. I've now installed Ad-aware and it found over a 100 things / parasites or whatever they are! Anyway, the "wupdater" thing is now cured...thanks guys.

GaT7 16:01 24 Mar 2004

& thanks for letting us know.

I would recommend installing Spybot-S&D & SpywareBlaster too. Spybot may find scum that Adaware missed & vice-versa, while SpywareBlaster protects you in real time blocking pests as you surf. Keep all updated regularly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?