Norton Internet log on

aitch2 12:54 05 Jan 2005

I have a friend who has WinXP+SP1+Norton+ Antivirus via NTL broadband, and for the last 3 weeks the only way he can connect to the internet is by disabling Norton AV. If he tries to connect he is met by dialog boxes saying that he is on 'Medium/high risk' and he cannot progress any further. Once disabled he has no connection problems. Have checked and compared all settings with my set-up and everything appears OK, right through Internet Connections, Windows firewall, Norton settings etc. Other than an un-install/ re-install is there anything else that we havent considered? Any help much appreciated. Aitch,

mattyc_92 14:19 05 Jan 2005

Try searhing the "Symantec" website (click here) for this problem.....

What version of Anti-Virus is it??? Is it "bundled" with "SystemWorks" or "Internet Security"??? or is it a"stand alone" version????

aitch2 15:34 05 Jan 2005

I believe it is Norton 2004, wasn't bundled with other works, so is standalone.
I'll follow your lead to Symantec. Thanks for the reply,Aitch

Sarah550 16:55 05 Jan 2005

I have a very similar problem, i have xp+sp2+norton internet security+wanadoo broadband. If norton firewall is running i can't connect to the internet, but with norton anti virus it's fine. I have uninstalled norton, reinstalled it, downloaded system updates, virus definitions etc... but it still has no affect. If the firewall is disabled i can connect and use the internet with no problems what so ever!

I've had a look at the Symantec site and haven't found anything, or at least anything that meant anything! Any ideas? Thanks Sarah

aitch2 12:48 06 Jan 2005

I had a look at the Symantec site also, and didn't really find a solution but I did use the 'Security Check' on my computer to see if that made any difference. It didn't but had it,I could report it back to my friend who's having the problem. I can't be certain if his firewall is enabled via Norton. I'm using the XP firewall and (touch wood) I,m not having any problems. I'll see him in work tonight so should be able to find out more. Thanks for your help,
Aitch.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie