Norton Ghost/GoBack problem.

Derek 09:34 11 Jan 2004

Win XP. Master and Slave both NTFS, Norton System Works 2003.
I attempted to do my regular Ghost clone C to D and pressed the "peer to Peer" by mistake. Can't remember the details of the proceedures exactly but, I was eventually faced with a start-up screen telling me to incorporate DOS. Clicked away and the system locked. Eventually got out and got into XP again Ok - or so I thought.
Again I go into Ghost and choose "Clone disc to disc" and a screen tells me to disable GoBack.
I then go into Goback and Options. I choose to "Disable" and another screen says "Cannot cummunicate with Device Drive".
I then re-load BackUp. Try everything again with no luck and a repeat of all 'problem' screens.
I then go into control panel/add and rem etc and try to remove GoBack. This I do to have a clean up. But, it won't do it !!
I now get a box which says "Windows has configured Drive C for MS DOS compatabilty".
Consequencies are that I have no Norton Ghost or active GoBack.

All help would be so welcome Kindest regards DM.

MichelleC 10:51 11 Jan 2004

You're using Gobck instead of system restore? Try uninstalling Ghost and this may clear GB to revert to earlier.

Derek 07:07 12 Jan 2004

Win XP Pro

Done that Michelle and no further forward apart from now landing myself in the worst situation.
In the first 15 seconds of booting I now cannot get past a black screen which apologises for the problem! It suggests I make a choice of four alternatives but, whatever I choose, I can only get back to the black screen which goes round in the circle !

Derek 07:08 12 Jan 2004

Forgot to say but it must be obvious, I'm now using my other spare PC using ME.

MichelleC 09:16 12 Jan 2004

Try an os repair:

click here: and click here

Derek 12:52 12 Jan 2004

Thank you Michelle for showing such interest.
I've been 'off air' for about four hours making every attempt to overcome the problem. In the end I reloaded XP and managed to get a little something back. At least I was able to get into safe mode and thus was able to clear out some programmes that were easily installable. I also took out all video controllers. I'm using a Radoen 9800 DL.
I was then able to write up a CD with important data and having done all that, I now find that I can get back into my desktop with some ease.
It appears that I haven't lost anything but the boot up appears to be slow.
I've lost "Run" but I'll re-located it somewhere, once I've done this, I can then get into MSCONFIG to take a look at the start ups !!

Again my sincere thanks for your support.

Derek Miles.

gold 47 13:09 12 Jan 2004

It's quicker to do a full system recovery this is the worst of Norton products if you try to correct one problem you end up with more and more.

Using go back with XP? not a good move unless you have disabled system restore i assume you have.

Derek 19:40 12 Jan 2004

Thanks to both of you. First Michelle, I took advantage of placing your links into my favourites and these appear to be a very supportive pages, I cannot imagine why I haven't come across them before, perhaps it's been 'cus I've not been in such trouble before.
And Gold 47, yes I have isolated system recovery. As far as Norton is concerned, I've been using all Norton/Symantec stuff for about fifteen years and found all their many programmes to be most acceptable.

I appear to be up and running once again and again I say to both, many thanks for your support.

Kindest regards Derek Miles.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?