Norton ghost and XP

Rand Al Thor 11:00 05 Jun 2006

I have been using Norton Ghost,DOS version, successfully with Windows 98. My daughter is experiencing problems with her machine that has XP pre-installed. AS the engineer wants to change the hard drive, I suggested using Ghost to take an image of her hard drive. This is the problem. I am unable to get Ghost to run on her XP machine. I was advised to change the boot sequence, but firstly I don't know how and secondly I don't think that will work, will it? Any advice welcome.

David

mattyc_92 11:06 05 Jun 2006

What version of Ghost are you using.

I have tried 2003 (v8) and v9 on a WinXP system and they worked fine

Rand Al Thor 11:40 05 Jun 2006

I think it is version 7. Yeah, I know that it is an old version, but it does me for Windows 98

mattyc_92 21:06 18 Jun 2006

bump

Rand Al Thor 08:12 19 Jun 2006

I tried to boot from the floppy at the weekend but no joy. I believe I need to get into the BIOS to change the boot sequence? The trouble is Windows XP is loaded from the hard drive and pressing F2 constantly does not seem to cut it. Any ideas?

mgmcc 08:38 19 Jun 2006

<<< The trouble is Windows XP is loaded from the hard drive and pressing F2 constantly does not seem to cut it >>>

You need to get into the BIOS *before* the PC starts to boot. To do this, tap the appropriate key immediately after powering on and, if the initial screen doesn't indicate the key to use, try:

- Delete

- F2

- F1 (IBM and some HP PCs)

- F10 (some Compaq PCs)

If none of these take you into the BIOS, try other "F" keys, although F8 is normally reserved for the "Boot Menu" from which to select Safe Mode etc.

Usually the initial screen after powering on will say something like "Press DEL to enter Setup" and "Setup" is the BIOS.

Rand Al Thor 10:25 19 Jun 2006

Thanks for that, I will give it a go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?