Norton Ghost (or Norton Save & Restore0

Enoch 15:08 09 Mar 2006

Advice please. I was going to instal Norton Ghost, but before I do I have a question. On reading the manual it seems that the "Ghost" copies the existing Hard Drive and recreates it on the same hard drive.

My question is, will the copy be the same size as my "Used Space" on my hard drive or does the copy of the drive compact and take up less space.

I had a problem last week with my hard drive, and, on speaking to Dell, they sent me a replacement hard drive. I went to the local computer company and they mirrored my problem hard drive and transferred all that was on my old hard drive onto my new one, without any loss of information or files and my PC is now running perfectly

However, it seems that Norton Ghost or the new Norton product of "Norton Save & Restore" (just being launched) would have made this transfer from drive to drive much easier.

Final question. If I decide to ghost to an off-PC source, what would be the reccommended place. Currently, before I planned to use "Ghost", I backed up my private and important info onto CD-RW

pj123 15:27 09 Mar 2006

I haven't used Norton Ghost (or anything else Norton).

I am running Win98SE and use xcopy to clone my C: hard drive to another separate hard drive which is then taken out of the computer and stored. Also I would never back up any important files to a CD-RW, they are not very reliable. Always back up to CD-R or DVD and also make two copies.

If you are running any other OS above Win 98SE, like, XP or W2K etc you could find xxcopy from click here or click here a better bet.

SURVEY 15:58 09 Mar 2006

I use Norton Ghost to back up my laptop and also my desktop computer. I back up to an External (Western Digital) hard drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?